Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing crusty old seized calipers - brands to avoid?

Views : 514

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 18:24   #1
Casheye

Default Replacing crusty old seized calipers - brands to avoid?

Hey Peeps,

My 1997 940 estate needs new calipers (the existing ones looks like they've been salvaged from the deep and have either seized or the seals are borked), and there looks to be a plethora of brands out there that are the right spec for my car.

The current brand looks to be Girling and Ate but I've found these on ebay which seem to be a bit of a bargain.

Front

Rear

The rear calipers above are 38mm and I'm sure I read somewhere that estates had 40mm but as this is for the piston does it matter all that much when it comes to fitment? As in, will the bolts align?

Thanks in advance.
Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 12:34   #2
Arthur1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Hey Peeps,

My 1997 940 estate needs new calipers (the existing ones looks like they've been salvaged from the deep and have either seized or the seals are borked), and there looks to be a plethora of brands out there that are the right spec for my car.

The current brand looks to be Girling and Ate but I've found these on ebay which seem to be a bit of a bargain.

Front

Rear

The rear calipers above are 38mm and I'm sure I read somewhere that estates had 40mm but as this is for the piston does it matter all that much when it comes to fitment? As in, will the bolts align?

Thanks in advance.
I've bought from them and they're fine - think they're the same company as they're both based in Staffordshire!

Don't quote me but as long as they're both matching, I don't think the size matters that much. All the bolts are the same, it's just the piston size itself in the caliper.

Last edited by Arthur1330; Jan 9th, 2024 at 12:36.
Arthur1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 13:39   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

take a look at the brakes international on line catalogue iv been using this company for years and have had great service from them and a reasonable price.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 14:32   #4
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur1330 View Post
I've bought from them and they're fine - think they're the same company as they're both based in Staffordshire!

Don't quote me but as long as they're both matching, I don't think the size matters that much. All the bolts are the same, it's just the piston size itself in the caliper.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
take a look at the brakes international on line catalogue iv been using this company for years and have had great service from them and a reasonable price.
Thanks, but they're out of stock on the rears and are a fair bit more pricey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 17:07   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

have you considered re build kits if you need to save cash its fairly easy to do .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 17:21   #6
Steve 940
Premier Member

+1 for rebuild option, perhaps have a look at below

https://www.biggred.co.uk/

Can either send your calipers for them to refurbish, or you can get pistons, seal kits to do yourself.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 17:40   #7
Mertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
+1 for rebuild option, perhaps have a look at below

https://www.biggred.co.uk/

Can either send your calipers for them to refurbish, or you can get pistons, seal kits to do yourself.

Cheers
Steve
Did mine with a set from them, very happy with the results. Good value too.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mertz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 18:53   #8
J liddy

I had my calipers refurbished by big red .they do a excellent job
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 20:02   #9
Casheye

Thanks guys, I'm aware of Big Red, they rebuilt/refurbished my Supra calipers a while back and they came back like new but unfortunately I'm in a bit of a rush and the car needs to be off the ramp by the end of the week so I've bit the bullet and ordered the chinesium ones from ebay.

The land yacht failed it's MOT so I need to get it back in the test centre by Friday ideally. A bit of welding (battery tray and opposite side) brakes all round, a new set of tires, new horns and a few hours with the death wheel and underseal and she'll be a gooden.

Still can't believe I paid £250 for the car when I see what people are asking for them now.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 20:24   #10
Arthur1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
Thanks guys, I'm aware of Big Red, they rebuilt/refurbished my Supra calipers a while back and they came back like new but unfortunately I'm in a bit of a rush and the car needs to be off the ramp by the end of the week so I've bit the bullet and ordered the chinesium ones from ebay.

The land yacht failed it's MOT so I need to get it back in the test centre by Friday ideally. A bit of welding (battery tray and opposite side) brakes all round, a new set of tires, new horns and a few hours with the death wheel and underseal and she'll be a gooden.

Still can't believe I paid £250 for the car when I see what people are asking for them now.
You'll be fine with them don't worry, have had the rears on mine for over a year now!
Arthur1330 is offline   Reply With Quote