Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Owner 2006 XC90 D5 AWD

Views : 650

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2022, 12:09   #1
Tim Duggan

Default New Owner 2006 XC90 D5 AWD

Hi there,

I am the new owner of a 2006 XC90 D5 AWD looking for some help with a few teething issues.

Firstly, I got a warning message on the dash 'Engine System Service Required' and lost a load of power, presume the engine went into limp home mode. I have an OBDII module and InCarDoc on my phone but that returned no MIL codes, although it did have some extended diagnostic codes as follows:-
P2099 Turbo/Super Charger Underboost
P0234 Turbo/Super Charger Overboost Condition
P2080 EGT Sensor 1
P2084 EGT Sensor 2

TBH I suspect these may be as a result of the car entering limp mode rather than the cause of the issue.

My first thought was fuel - When I bought the car last week, I drove it home 50 miles and it was perfect, the issue only started after I filled up the tank. I used regular diesel from a no brand filling station and then the issue immediately started so that seems a bit of a coincidence.

I plan to run some cleaner through it, change the fuel filter (it was done within the last year by the previous owner, but just in case), and stick to known brand fuel. However I would be interested in seeing if there are any codes in there that the Volvo software can read that my generic app can't in case there is anything else wrong. So is there anyone in Swindon, Wilts or nearby that has the tool/software that would scan it for me, in return for a bottle of wine or something, or do I need to go and be fleeced by the Volvo dealer?

Second issue is the handbrake. Firstly, I absolutely loathe the design. Why would anyone do that? It's useless for hill starts and far too much of a faff to bother using in traffic. That rant aside, my main issue is that it seems to roll a good few inches after the pedal is depressed (and I'm pressing it pretty damn hard). Is this normal or does this indicate it needs servicing and/or adjustment? The PO did front discs/pad and just rear pads in the last year I think. I am presuming this is the same set up as other Volvos I've owned, in that the handbrake is effectively a cable operated drum brake with shoes just for that in addition to the main pads, and the disc functions as a drum as well?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tim Duggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 12:46   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Regarding the engine problems check the following:

Check that the vacuum lines to the turbo boost control valve are OK
Check you have no vacuum leaks (common are bad engine mounts, which are vacuum controlled - clamp the line to the engine mounts and see if your problem improves)

Also, check your charged air pipes and intercooler for any cracks or leaks, a smoke machine is best

Regarding handbrake: the drums rust up through lack of use or poor use. Take the rear wheels and drums off and inspect.
Rusted drums do not grip.
If severely rusted, then new disc-drums will be needed.
Always fit new, genuine Volvo shoes and make sure the mechanism is working freely and not rusted up.
My MY2009 had rusted pivots and then I stretched one cable through excessive force. New cables and new pivots cost me too much money.
In the last three years I have had new disc-drums, brake pads and recently new pivots and brake cables.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 07:04   #3
Tim Duggan

Thank you. I will check those out.
Tim Duggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 11:17   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

correct volvo hand brake shoes are a must. as is correct adjustment of the cable there is a special tool for this. but it can be done with out it with a little bit of enginuity
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote