Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To cut or not to cut (that is the question)

Views : 1976

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 23:50   #1
PenR

Default To cut or not to cut (that is the question)

Finally finished painting the engine bay - has anyone run into the colour code 46 disparity mix question - first place colour was screaming bright red, second place was a bit darker but still nowhere near. I eventually sat around for ages adding 1ml at a time of black until I got it right - took me all day to get it.
Sorry about that - had to get it off my chest!!
Anyway this IS the question (and its fairly anal at that) Should I cut the dash to accept a modern stereo? I refuse to buy one of these overpriced 'classic' stereo's - ridiculous money.
The Austin A35 owner (and complete pest - buy some bloody tools of your own) from up the road says that it detracts from the originality etc etc and thus devalues the car and I guess he's right up to a point. So whats the concensus - if any?
I do have a wonderful Clarion unit with all the bells and whistles and really want to fit it (somewhere?)
Ah details details details eh!
Cheers all
PenR
PenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 01:48   #2
940_Turbo

I tend to put modern radios on the parcel shelf. I dislike cutting the dash, to my eyes it looks horrible having a modern radio inserted into an Amazon dash.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 02:46   #3
Tail
Master Member

I put mine under the dash on the right hand side, pictures in this thread here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=stereo&page=3 . You can't see the stereo at all from outside the car, the buttons are a little hard to see but i use the remote control it came with to switch on and change between radio and a memory stick with all of my out of date tunes on.
Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 04:26   #4
dheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenR View Post
Anyway this IS the question (and its fairly anal at that) Should I cut the dash to accept a modern stereo? I refuse to buy one of these overpriced 'classic' stereo's - ridiculous money.
The Austin A35 owner (and complete pest - buy some bloody tools of your own) from up the road says that it detracts from the originality etc etc and thus devalues the car and I guess he's right up to a point. So whats the concensus - if any?
I do have a wonderful Clarion unit with all the bells and whistles and really want to fit it (somewhere?)
Ah details details details eh!
Cheers all
PenR
Just to give you an idea of what this ends up looking like: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=83911
Of course you could try to find a more classy looking CDP so it doesn't clash as much with the Amazon's interior.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 06:20   #5
Volvo Canadian
Bury me in my Volvo

Sounds like you are going at it from the bottom up, if you are painting the engine-bay.

Planning on selling? If not, I'd say in the dash, but it does make a stmt. Mine - I kept the original AM radio.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 10:28   #6
jimbo1593
Master Member

mine is under the dash on the left...suits fine.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 10:42   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

It is one of those little originality things that most guys don't like, so if you can it would be best not to cut the dash. The thing is they can always be welded back up if you did cut it though. Mine has been cut by a previous owner and I have a modern stereo in, doesn't look too bad but doesn't look quite right either so I might put an old one back in at some point in time.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 13:44   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
I dislike cutting the dash, to my eyes it looks horrible having a modern radio inserted into an Amazon dash.
Agreed - looks horrible. Also, the modern stereo is then highly visible to any potential thief.

Quote:
Should I cut the dash to accept a modern stereo? I refuse to buy one of these overpriced 'classic' stereo's - ridiculous money.
I'd also recommend against cutting the dash. Whilst it could be welded up later, it would be a lot of hassle. However, the Retrosound units (not to be confused with other similar modern spindle mount units) are actually very good from all reports, with a much more powerful onboard amp (4x100W max, 50W RMS, rather than the usual 50W max & between 25 to 30W RMS), and the higher specced one has all the aux-ins & aux outs necessary for running mp3s, external amps etc, should you wish, as well as a remote control - very useful in an Amazon, given the distance it would be located from the driver.

Quote:
It would only devalue the car if done unsympathetically, i.e if you hack the dash & / or door trims.

Whilst the parcel shelf is a location where a stereo could easily be hidden, it's not within easy reach of the driver. A modern unit will fit under the centre of the dash in front of the gearstick, provided it is mounted far enough back. By mounting it there, it is in easy reach of the driver, and when the faceunit is removed, it isn't at all obtrusive & at night, it is completely hidden in the shadow under the dash. If you have an ipod, the ashtray is also just the right size for a dock. I can take some pics of how I've mounted mine in that location, if that's any help?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Aug 19th, 2012 at 14:25.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 17:35   #9
PenR

Default Decision time!

Overwhelming opinion has convinced me that I am not going to cut my dash.
The Phillips radio that was supplied with the car (I have the original bill of sale for the car) will be repaired and will remain and I will attempt to manufacture an underdash (central) mounting for the Clasrion unit.
So a large thanks to all who contributed to the decision and when I get around to doing it I'll attempt a 'how I did it' bit
Cheers all and thanks as ever
PenR
The Following User Says Thank You to PenR For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 17:37   #10
PenR

Default I would appreciate....

222s (Paul) - can I take you up on the offer of some pics of your install please?
Cheers
PenR