Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch judder when cold

Views : 1403

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 14:47   #1
PTJS
Master Member

Default Clutch judder when cold

For several years I have had clutch judder on cold starts so winter has been a bit of a pain until the clutch seems to warm up. In recent years I have used Castrol High Mileage 15/40 mineral oil but, as this is no longer available, I changed to GTX 10/40 semi synthetic GTX last summer. Since then the clutch judder has disappeared! Anyone any offers as to why this should be?

Cheers

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 14:50   #2
stephend
Premier Member

Obviously semi-synth is better at lubricating your clutch.

Seriously, though, the only way I can think of that engine oil could affect clutch judder is if there's a bit of a leak at the rear main oil seal, and oil's getting in and contaminating the clutch.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 20:27   #3
dodger
Dodger

Default clutch judder when cold

I've had this on Volvos and other cars and it usually is contaminated lining. The clue to the temporary answer is to warm it up - put into top gear with the handbrake on and 'slip' the clutch for 2 or 3 seconds then you'll find the judder is gone. Obviously a temporary 'cure' but makes life more pleasant until you get round to dropping the 'box and fitting a new clutch (probably in about 3 years time including caravan holidays if my experience is anything to go by) - and then it's when you find you're glad you have an 'easy' gearbox removal unlike most of the transverse engined cars.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 16:01   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Could it just be soft engine and gearbox mountings? The engine can be quite juddery when cold, which wouldn't improve clutch control if the unit is jumping about.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 16:05   #5
PTJS
Master Member

Thanks all. When I had the clutch last replaced about 5 years ago the mechanic who did it said there was a very slight leak from the crank seal. I wasn't happy because he had put it all back together before he told me this otherwise I would have told him to just put a new seal in while it was apart. Misting from this seal seems to be the favourite and other than start ups it wasn't a particular problem. Now the problem seems to have gone I will put it to the back of my mind.

I take Cliffords point about soft engine & gearbox mountings and will watch whether the engine jumps about on a cold start. The mountings are the originals and at 25 years old and with the car at 200k they are well worth a look at....eventually. As you all know, mechanically these cars just run and run with the minimum of maintenance.

When it reaches 200k in the next couple of weeks I'm tempted to give it a blow and see what top speed I can get out of it. Often wondered what it would do.

Cheers

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PTJS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:28   #6
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If they are the original mountings I would certainly replace them, or at least have a critical look. One give-away is that the one under the oil filter is soft from oil contamination, and has sagged sideways so that there is hardly any space to get a grip on the oil filter.

Some years ago pulling a caravan up a steep tight turn my engine made alarming jumping movements and the gearbox was banging on the lever turret.
Inspection showed that both engine mounts had completely unbonded from the rubber. The engine was just resting under gravity, with no restraint at all.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:24   #7
john h
VOC Member

Another cause of 'clutch judder' can be worn torque rod bushes on the rear axle, but if that was the cause I don't think it would be linked to engine temperature

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: