Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is the correct rear ride height for a 940 estate?

Views : 1316

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 17:02   #1
Daisychainsaw

Default What is the correct rear ride height for a 940 estate?

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me the correct ride height for the rear end of a 97 940 estate 2.3 LPT Classic? The car seems to sag at the rear when 4 adults are in it or when I am towing my camping trailer (around 750kg gross loaded up) and 3 kiddies in the back)

I have had a hunt around the threads but don't seem to have found the answer. Lots of info on springs and dampers etc tho which is really good.

The car is equiped with what looks like standard dampers (not nivos) and I have no clue as to whether the springs are normal or HD. I assume that its all standard as it hadn't towed anything before I got it and it appears to have had a full volvo service history as all maintenance items (filters, plugs etc) and replacement parts have volvo stickers or volvo stamps on them.

Regards
Daisychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 09:14   #2
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Just been out and measured mine.

From the ground to the bottom centre of the rear bumper is 16".

Obviously with 4 adults or a trailer on the back it will be lower, as there's quite a bit of weight there.

The trailer alone at 750Kg is 0.738 of a ton. (3/4 of a ton) !! Add a few passengers and that's a big weight.

It's impossible to give a general answer to this question, because it depends on how much use the car has had in the past, how much towing it's done, how heavy the towed weights have been during the cars lifetime etc. It might have been towing a HUGE caravan, or been owned by a big fat bloke with a fat wife and fat kids, for example before you owned it.

As with all towing, ensure that, particularly your rear tyres are pumped up to the correct pressures, (which is quite an increse on the estate). Don't forget to reduce the pressures when NOT towing.

Finally, IF it has had a heavy life, then it may well be that after 14 years, it will need new rear suspension. The springs don't last forever!

Last edited by Oilydad; Jul 23rd, 2010 at 09:19.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:35   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

This will also depend on whether you have Nivomat's fitted. If yes to this then once you have driven a couple of miles the ride height should be set to the correct level. That with a load or not.

Nivomat shocks can be spotted by the rubber gaiter fitted to them and the fact the shock is also quite fat.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 23:02   #4
RealEstate
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisychainsaw View Post
The car is equiped with what looks like standard dampers (not nivos) and I have no clue as to whether the springs are normal or HD.
Shouldn't all 940 estates have Nivos?

Another way of measuring rear ride height I have read is there should be one hand width between top of tyre and bottom of wheel arch. As Des says this should be measured after a drive when the Nivos have self-adjusted.
All the best,
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 17:13   #5
Daisychainsaw

Talking

Cheers guys,

I finally got round to checking the rest height of mine - 15 inches from ground to bottom of bumper with half a tank of juice, seven seat conversion and around 50kg of spanners and kit in the back. I think all is well with the old girl.

For ref it hasn't got nivos-although the dampers are in good nick and appear to be only a couple of years or so old: so nivos could have been swapped out for standard dampers.

Cheers guys, your views have been very helpful.

Daisychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote