Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Views : 2097

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2012, 16:27   #1
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Default New Member

Hi Chaps & Ladies.

Just joined as I will be acquiring a 54 Reg V70 D5 SE Geartronic in a few days time.

Was previously a Saab man but as parts getting expensive and rare decided it was time to move sooner rather than later - hence here I am and getting excited waiting for my new car. It has currently 142k on the clock and is being delivered direct to my main dealer for the 144k service for somewhere round the £385 mark which I do not mind paying as it will include Volvo Assistance free which I understand is around £178 normally.

Not new to Volvo as we have a V50 2.0D SE which has proved to be excellent and has the free Volvo Assistance as well.

The V70 is in excellent condition with full history and runs smooth as can be.

What if anything should I keep my eyes open for in the coming months? I have had a vehicle inspection done which took 2 hours and picked up 2 front tyres and clean of EGR valve but basically nothing else!

I will be looking to get second set of wheels with winter tyres on (had them on Saab and couldn't believe the difference in heavy rain, snow, slush and frosty roads). I am also interested to hear what you chaps suggest as being best Economy/Performance upgrades as the only one i know of is RICA.

Look forward to being part of the forum like I was with Saab forum.
Norfolk Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 16:40   #2
RM955I
Premier Member

Hi,

I moved to a v70 2.4 170 after a long time with my SAAB 95 Aero which at 155k was quite honestly shagged for lack of a better term.

I'm not too up on the diesels but I would check front wishbones as the bushes wear (or disintegrate to be more precise); I'd check the state of the ATF and consider a precautionary change; drop links are common failures; there's the much spoken of rear brake shoes (not pads....shoes, for the handbrake); check that the timing belt has been done and the auxiliary drive belt plus any associated pulleys and tensioners for both; if you have an HU850 head unit make sure it works - the multichanger internals are made of chocolate and regularly fail; apparently Volvos are very fussy about their coolant and people swear by the genuine stuff so it may be worth a flush and change; it seems that brake pistons/calipers are prone to sticking so a good clean and smear of red brake grease under the rubber boot is advised; fresh brake fluid makes a big difference; don't know about diesels but on my petrol model the exhaust hanger brackets for the tailpipe and mid section rust and fail although thankfully bolt-on replacements are available; the top engine torque mount falls apart (the big rubber thing in a metal bracket bolted to the top of the engine) and when that goes it also breaks the lower torque mount, small bush (bolted to gearbox); oh, and get to know where the fuse boxes are.....bloody things are all over the place - never had a car with so many fuseboxes LOL

Can't think of anything else but the diesel guys can give you diesel specific issues

I also managed to get a spare set of wheels for 175 quid and a set of 4 used Hankook Icebear tyres with 8.5-9mm tread for 200 quid back in the summer. As it happens I prefer the ride of the winter tyres and increased road noise is negligible.

Last edited by RM955I; Dec 31st, 2012 at 16:45.
RM955I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 16:47   #3
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

depending on how it has been driven before you may get the old vanes on the turbo sticking .
intercooler.
DMF.
CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER, see if it has been changed in the past.
engine mounts front and rear they are vac operated and can effect the turbo.
enjoy the car
mike
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 21:10   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
DMF.
CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER, see if it has been changed in the past.
It's geartronic, so change of ATF would be a wise precaution.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 22:08   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default HAPPY New Year by Example

Hello, What a great way to start the new year! Too bad it comes in Winter; it impedes learning a new car's inwards. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 23:58   #6
S60 PNV
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk Jim View Post
It ... is being delivered direct to my main dealer for the 144k service for somewhere round the £385 mark which I do not mind paying as it will include Volvo Assistance free which I understand is around £178 normally.
I went for full Volvo service; not sure it's necessarily worth it on car of that age / mileage..

Mine was £350, dealer in Ipswich. another forum member quoted £410 from dealer in Cambridge - same service but prices seem to vary quite a bit.

One thing I learned (too late) is that you should call several local dealers and get quotes from all, get your local to price match, if they won't, go elsewhere.

An independent will do basically the same service, but for more like £250.

The Volvo Assist is comparable to AA Cover at between 80-100 quid, I;'d have thought, I doubt it's really worth £178 ?

MY06 S60 SE, Facelift with Euro3 D5244T (163) Engine (odd one)
S60 PNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 16:47   #7
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Question

Thanks chaps.

I was used to a 300hp 9-5 aero with the same auto box and paddles but just found normal driving drank 20 mpg and only on run got 40. My 2.2TiD I just sold went very well with 145hp and 360 Nm and averaged around 43mpg so if this one does similar I'll be pleased.

It has just failed MOT on emissions. Tester said oil was quite dirty so they are doing oil change and then re-test and see what happens. Fine by me as its at his cost to get it through anyway and I'm getting full service done by dealer in any case - thanks for heads up about getting quotes from other dealers and seeing if they'll do price match

The engineer who did the check said the gearbox was smoothest he'd seen and changed imperceptibly so will wait for a while before spending £100 on ATF change.

I did check up on cost for Full Euro Coverage by AA and it was around the £150 mark but of course this gets Volvo out and not what I call a Jack of All Motors mechanic out - no disrespect to AA or RAC so could be quicker on the move again.

Thanks also for heads up on problems RM9551. Hopefully all should be ok as the engineer that looked also services Volvo's so should be aware of most problems and he only came back to me with 2 tyres and emissions thing which have all been picked up on MOT

Hopefully looks like I get it Monday/Tuesday - well I hope as long as re-test goes ok tomorrow..............
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 12:19   #8
myfirstv70

"It has just failed MOT on emissions. Tester said oil was quite dirty so they are doing oil change and then re-test and see what happens"

It may be worth giving the car a good hard drive say 4,000 revs for a few miles before the MOT test.....if like me you don't tear around you tend to get a build up of soft soot in the exhaust which will blow out when working the engine hard. You may also notice on the exhaust print out on your MOT reflects that the particulate readings reduce after each subsequent run. My car (a D5) makes very little smoke apart from rare occasion I bury the throttle into the carpet! Once that's done it's very clean therafter.
HTH,
Nobby

Last edited by myfirstv70; Jan 3rd, 2013 at 12:20. Reason: wrong quote!
myfirstv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 13:44   #9
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

Thanks Nobby.

I think the EGR will need a good clean out as I now have the car history from Volvo.

It appears that its early years must have been company car or lease car as from Oct 2004 to July 2008 it did 132K (all Volvo main dealer servicing) and has now covered 142k i.e. 10k in 4 and half years and being geartronic reckon has never been driven fast and only been a locally driven vehicle - hence EGR light on dash lit up. Should know later today the outcome.

BTW managed to get 144k service down to £375 by ringing round and asking for price match - hopefully happy bunny.
Old Jan 3rd, 2013, 13:50   #10
Norfolk Jim
Norfolk Jim

This is the motor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70 D5 SE 2005.jpg (324.4 KB, 26 views)