Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best performance Volvo?

Views : 2475

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 17:12   #1
Volvo6
Master Member

Default Best performance Volvo?

I currently own a V50 2.0D, but I was thinking if I were to buy a fast Volvo, something that would be a bit more fun to drive which one to go for...?

850 T5/R/T-5R? V70R AWD? Any others? Which is the best in terms of performance and handling?

Would generally stick with estates from either the 850 or first generation V70 due to budget. Are there any differences between how estates and saloons perform?
Volvo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 17:35   #2
DSK
C70 T5

You mentioned a budget, what ball park is it in as this will help others answer you question better.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 19:01   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Make sure you try a T4 before you decide ;-) economocal too unlike the bigger volvos
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 19:12   #4
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Make sure you try a T4 before you decide ;-) economocal too unlike the bigger volvos
Having had T4's and currently an S70 T5, I'd second the above!

As for best performance and handling, depends on what you are looking for. Absolute acceleration and/or top speed? FWD, RWD or AWD, etc?
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 01:38   #5
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
You mentioned a budget, what ball park is it in as this will help others answer you question better.
Good point. Not much above £5000. Not too concerned about fuel economy though. Would probably want to stick with an estate as well due to the practicality.

Quote:
As for best performance and handling, depends on what you are looking for. Absolute acceleration and/or top speed? FWD, RWD or AWD, etc?
Not too fussed about top speed, acceleration more important. I had assumed that I'd be looking at FWD or AWD possibly in the case of the V70. I guess I could look at the older RWD Volvos. Don't have a preference as such for drive layout more interested in how the car is as a complete handling package...
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:37   #6
Macp
S70R owner

Sounds to me like you want an 855T5-R/855R/V70R as you want an estate & not bothered about economy.You also get the smoothness of that lovely 5 cylinder engine that to me sounds like a muted UR Quattro.
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 17:53   #7
st5ve
S60 R

If your budget can stretch to the facelift 05 six speed V70 T5 that would be the one to go for. I would not go for the earlier AWD system as they are very fragile.

850 R estate manual is a nice buy if you can find one with low miles in good condition. Their is currently two on pistonheads but both are auto.

If you have a budget of £5k and want a basic fast estate I would look at getting a V70 T5 and enhancing the performance.

MTE stage 2 remap
Feritta exhaust sytem
Koni SSK suspension

You will have a very quick car for not much money.

If you want something standard I would go for the 850 R or a V70 R (not the awd though)
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 11:54   #8
Volvo6
Master Member

Quote:
If you have a budget of £5k and want a basic fast estate I would look at getting a V70 T5 and enhancing the performance.
Yeah sounds like a good idea, will probably want to upgrade a bit as I go...what is the difference between the T5 and the R models in terms of the steering/suspension? I mean would be easy to bring the T5 up to R standards or beyond in terms of handling?

How much does the Koni SSK suspension you mentioned improve things?
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 16:52   #9
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo6 View Post
Yeah sounds like a good idea, will probably want to upgrade a bit as I go...what is the difference between the T5 and the R models in terms of the steering/suspension? I mean would be easy to bring the T5 up to R standards or beyond in terms of handling?

How much does the Koni SSK suspension you mentioned improve things?

If we look at the 850 T5-R/R compared to the T5
The T5-R and R sits slightly lower than the T5, the T5-R has a slightly more rigid suspension system but remember the system is old and tiered

The T5-R runs at 240bhp in either auto or man the R auto is the same
The R runs at 250bhp

The T5-R, R auto and T5 run orange injectors and a 15g turbo

The R manual has a slightly better throttle body allowing better throttle response. larger white injectors and a slightly bigger turbo (16t) it is also claimed the ic is a better design. The conrods are allegedly spotted (slightly stronger) and has a viscous coupling type limited slip diff.

Cosmetically the T5-R and are very similar with just the interior having the leather alacentera in diffrent places. On the saloon the rear spoiler are different.

If you have a look in the performance section I started a thread about the Volvo Owners Club Motor Sport Challenge. In that thread I have timed runs in my 850 R auto with various modifications from a remap to suspension changes etc. It will give you an idea what modifications do what and how they effect the cars performance.

The most important changes are suspension, brakes and tyres followed by remap and exhaust system upgrade.

The MTE remap has a proven track record, on and off the race track and is considerd by those in the know to be the most effective off the shelf remap for Volvo's.

Hope this helps if you need indepth information try a forum called T5D5
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 20:25   #10
don kalmar union
Trader

Default Best Volvo performance option.

I would agree with Steve that the post MY '05 T5s in the P2 cars have the very best iteration of the 5 pot turbos with their 2.4l engines.

These latest engines are quite simply a narrower bore version of the concurrent R engines, all other components being the same, and are proving to be as robust as any earlier narrow bore 2300cc T5 and R engines.

With the MTE stage 1 software you will get outputs of arround 335bhp with 480nm of torque. If you fit a full performance exhaust system you can slightly improve these figures.

If your budget wont stretch to one of these latest cars then you can get very good results with the earlier cars/engines but the cost of the additional components to achieve comparable results with them will most likely exceed the cost of the later car and just a software upgrade.

Best regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote