Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4300k - what a bright idea!

Views : 2631

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 18:35   #1
jonspencer_1981

Default 4300k - what a bright idea!

Today i fitted my 13 LED side lights and 4300k canbus HID's

The side lights look great with a very slight blue tint...they are described as 4500k colour.
Then i fitted my 4300k HID kit. Mounting the ballasts proved the most difficult part, but i mounted one on the outer casing of the ECU box and one on the outer of the airbox.
The result...amazing, daylight lighting! I have fitted HID before but they make such a diffence to the standard halogen on the S60.
I took the car to my local garage to check the legality and they said it would pass an MOT with no issues.

Pics to follow!
jonspencer_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jonspencer_1981 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 20:25   #2
bombay121

Sounds good, a link to the HID kit you bought would be most appreciated! Looking forward to pics.

cheers
Dan
bombay121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2012, 18:36   #3
rnlisg

Default led light mods

hi jon
sounds good cant wait to see the pics,also where did you get parts and how much were they?
cheers
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 06:05   #4
jonspencer_1981

Hi guys,

Pics tonight i promise, works a bit manic so my apologies for any delay.

@dan - the username on ebay for the HID's is poundloney

@sandy - the username for the sidelights is uk-buynow

I've bought ice white HB3 and H1 for the finishing touch but i cery much doubt the full beam will ever get used!
jonspencer_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 08:37   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonspencer_1981 View Post
I took the car to my local garage to check the legality and they said it would pass an MOT with no issues.

Pics to follow!
Hi JonSpencer

New MOT rules come in this coming April which test:

HID headlamps and bulb incompatibility.

Auto levellers must be fitted along with a headlight wiper/washer system. If they are missing or not working then car will fail MOT.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:07   #6
owyn
Premier Member

On a not unrelated topic.....

I have a 07 V70 with halogen headlights, I was wondering what the difference is between the OEM halogen and HID headlight.

Obviously the bulb is different and I think the sidelight arrangement is a bit different but I was wondering about the reflector and all that jazz.

I don't think its a projector type light in these.

My thinking is that putting an HID in a halogen V70 will result in a similar look to what is put in by Volvo
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:10   #7
k-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi JonSpencer

Auto levellers must be fitted along with a headlight wiper/washer system. If they are missing or not working then car will fail MOT.

Regards
Not sure how that's going to work - my dad has HIDs as standard in his Mazda - without a washer system.

Levellers makes sense - putting HIDs in a standard housing may make you see well but other drivers get a ridiculous amount of glare as there is no cutoff.
k-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 09:54   #8
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Hi JonSpencer

Regards
You don't have to have auto levellers in the headlight units - self levelling suspension is an acceptable alternative.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 13:15   #9
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
Not sure how that's going to work - my dad has HIDs as standard in his Mazda - without a washer system.
TBH, I have no idea on that then!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
You don't have to have auto levellers in the headlight units - self levelling suspension is an acceptable alternative.
No idea if the leveller is to be in the light or on the suspension just going off this below:

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

I think its a good idea to check them via the MOT as too many people fit aftermarket lights to:
a) increase their own driving vision - good ( although not good if they dazzle oncoming motorists)
b) To look cool - again not good if oncoming motorists are dazzled

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 13:43   #10
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

Quote:
No idea if the leveller is to be in the light or on the suspension
Can be either but it must be automatic, a manual self levelling adjustment won't do.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote