Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 Volvo 744 GL ***FOR SALE***

Views : 1683

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2016, 12:58   #1
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Default 1989 Volvo 744 GL ***FOR SALE***

Well the time has come for the resto project to move on to it's "forever home".

The build thread.... http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=248119

Its a 1989 Volvo 744 GL, original car but not without it's problems. This would make a great daily driver / work horse and an ideal starter classic.

History

I bought this car as a non-runner, all I knew what the engine had overheated and stopped due to a burst radiator hose, so I expected I was going to fitting an engine. A few tests revealed there was no spark and very poor compression. Got sparking issue sorted and tried to fire, but when the thermostat housing turns into an exhaust port, its time to give up.

The Resto

I have a good head and a good bottom end, the bottom end had been rebuilt just before the car which it came from was scrapped, so the rings and bearings where good, water pump was new. Head came off my own 740 as the original head from this engine was skimmed and prep'd to replace the gasket on my 740. One gasket set, timing belt & thermostat later and I had a good rebuilt engine.

A few teething problems getting the engine up and running, split fuel lines etc, I can only assume caused by the heat. Engine is now running sweetly, infact better than my own 740. I driven nearly 300 miles now with no issues except rough starting when first started after sitting for a period of time, good rev clears this, my own 740 does the same thing. I suspect it may be a slight air leak at one of the injector pipes and is allowing the fuel to run back from the injector slightly.

Next on the agenda was to address the poor brakes. When I had the wheels off I had noticed new discs on the rear but seen the front where in poor condition and cracking. New front discs and pads, along with a ball joint and track rod end and the front end was sorted. Calipers needed freed up and the old discs came off in bits but now working 100%. However I still had a brake issue. Checked the rear brakes and found old pads fitted with new discs and another sticking caliper. Pads and caliper replaced, the brakes are bedding in nicely and the judder felt through the pedal is less each day as the disc cleans up.

There was a small patch of welding required on the N/S/R wheel arch at the sill and chassis leg, nothing major and quickly fixed.

Car Details

The car now drives well and looks well, however it is 26 years old and does have battle scars. N/S/R quarter panel has a small dent on the corner above the tail light, O/S/R quarter panel has had a repair previously and could do with being tidied up, but is not untidy by any means.

Other known faults, drivers front door panel matches the car colour wise, but it would appear to be from an older model and the speaker panel is different. The outer cover of the glove box is stating to part from the inner / body or the lid, however still locks and functions as it should. It has the factory fitted faulty fuel gauge all 740's have, although it is accurate around 80% of the time. There is a locking fuel cap, but no key. I also noticed the mileometer didn't work, it was showing 110k. This has been replaced with one showing 140k and working perfectly. Replacement wheels came from a 940 celebration model, tyres are good but will require replacement soon, 3-4mm on each tyre. There is no history with this car but I do have a service folder / handbook from a 740 which I will include with the sale.

I've been hard describing this car and I am very fussy with a car. I'm sure any one who comes to see and drive the car will not be disappointed with it.

Currently MOT'd until October 2016, if it goes to a forum member outside of Northern Ireland I will put a full years MOT on the car for peace of mind. I am also happy to meet at the "ports" and help out any way I can with pictures and information.

I am going to ask for £895 for this car. There has been over £400 spent on this car alone in parts, factor in the purchase price and I haven't got a lot of margin to work with, but price is negotiable.

Ask any question, preferably by text or phone 07801 082203 but I will answer PM's and thread posts as and when.

Link to pic album: http://s657.photobucket.com/user/Bel...0744%20VJZ4139

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 14:55   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

100 Views and no comments??

Not even to call me a mad Irishman??

Old Apr 28th, 2016, 15:37   #3
dab90

Great car wish it was an estate im on look out for 700/900 estate.
dab90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dab90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 19:06   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

You mad Irishman!!!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:32   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Still for sale, open to offers

Replacement glovebox and A pillar trim to be fitted next week hopefully.

Old Jun 4th, 2016, 21:24   #6
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Now Sold!!

Old Dec 19th, 2016, 12:59   #7
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

This car is now for sale again, been trouble free for the current owner, he just fancy's a change. Has passed MOT now since I owned it too. If anyone is interested PM me for a contact number.

Old Dec 19th, 2016, 19:55   #8
JCL

Default Alloys

Andy I sorry to change the subject but I'll take that pair of turbo wheels off you whenever it's convenient, I head off to London working Xmas but anytime after that drop me a line and I'll nip round.

Jon
Old Dec 20th, 2016, 10:28   #9
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Just drop me a text when suits Jon