Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1000 mile round trip

Views : 1342

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2016, 18:51   #1
byootox
Premier Member

Default 1000 mile round trip

Just done a 1000 mile round trip after down and back up the country seeing the family over the festive period and it never missed a beat.
I'd given a member of the family a loan of the car for a while but needed the space so got it back for the trip.
I'd almost forgotten how comfy and quick these cars are on the motorway.
I was thinking on getting rid but after that trip it's staying with me another year now lol !!
These aren't that cheap a car to run if I'm honest but it's got to be the most versatile and useful motor I've ever owned.
Verdict: if you get a good one of these for no more than a grand, keep it as long as you can and they wont disappoint.
Old Jan 1st, 2016, 21:51   #2
JumboBeef

I'm in the middle of my own 1,000 mile trip: Devon - Edinburgh - Devon in my V70 tdi. Comfy, not missed a beat and pushing 50mpg, can't be bad.
JumboBeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 15:00   #3
byootox
Premier Member

Lol.. that's pretty much what i've just done but other way round.
50 mpg is superb I'm about half of that :-D
Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 17:52   #4
colwyn
Resident Ejit

We recently visited Dunoon from Dover most excellent drive there and back, have also gone from Dover to southport and back again on same day presents and family are fun sometimes well not as fun as whooping down the m6 toll road

Not a problem even with faulty 50-51sn

ABS controller problems, give me a shout
colwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 09:49   #5
Brianjone5

Quote:
Originally Posted by byootox View Post
Just done a 1000 mile round trip <snip>
Verdict: if you get a good one of these for no more than a grand, keep it as long as you can and they wont disappoint.
I hope this is the case. I bought a 1998 V70 2.5T CD last summer for £700. So far I have had to replace the window control module, the MAF and the brake pressure module. It is no longer a cheap car, but I hope it will now be reliable. So far, so good.

And yes, it had a full service history. It had its recently had its 186,000 mile service though had only covered 156,000 miles. All Volvo stamps. How good that servicing had been I wondered about when I changed the pollen filter (cabin filter). I'm pretty sure it was the original filter. You could grow mushrooms on it. It had an inch of debris on top of it. What had the mechanical servicing been like?

Anyway, I hope it is a keeper. I get mid 35 mpg on the motorway if I am careful; much less around town.
Brianjone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 13:26   #6
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianjone5 View Post
And yes, it had a full service history. It had its recently had its 186,000 mile service though had only covered 156,000 miles. All Volvo stamps. How good that servicing had been I wondered about when I changed the pollen filter (cabin filter). I'm pretty sure it was the original filter. You could grow mushrooms on it. It had an inch of debris on top of it. What had the mechanical servicing been like?
Window module switch is a common enough thing to fail, used good parts are very cheap, but new dealer parts are excessively expensive. Other marques offer reduced rates on parts and labour for 'legacy' cars (more than 10 years or 2 generations old), but not volvo.

The cabin filter on mine I have to change every 6 months, used to buy genuine but they all get rotten so quick that just get the cheapest from ECP ( about £4) as I don't need to filter the pollen, just stop the trees I park under emigrating into the HVAC system. So wouldn't necessarily jump that its poor servicing, they just get bad very quickly!

Although saying that, in the family always used to run new audis' (A4/A6 estates) but got fed up with the £££ servicing, where they don't even do half the things on the list. Cleaning sunroof + scuttle panel drains, lubing hinges, cleaning and lubing rubbers and seals, underbody and arch clean + inspection etc. Fairly time consuming little jobs that should be done but when time is upon them, they skip, but still charge you the fixed price for the service and then lie to your face about it. **** poor.

Few weeks back bombed down to Bristol 5 up + gear there and back. Strong winds and heavy foot (long way to travel after/before work) yet still managed 44mpg. Would have been more like 50 if car wasn't so loaded and I wasn't so intent on trying out the new M6/M5 variable speed cameras response.

It DID miss a beat on the way back up, I found at maintenance/constant throttle at a very certain engine speed (2200-2400rpm) it would shudder consistently until more/less throttle is used, then it would return after a few miles. But only on cruise, not on pedal. Seems to have not reoccurred though.
Old Jan 4th, 2016, 14:22   #7
Brianjone5

Hmmm, my first thought at stumbling on 'coasting' throttle would be fuel delivery. Pump / filter / injectors.

I'd go easy street first and run a couple of tanks with something like Techron fuel system cleaner before you get your hands dirty.

Like your Audis, my thought was that if they skipped the filter, then what else? I promise you, this wasn't a dirty filter. It was a potting tray. It had composted.

On the parts I have replaced, I went Volvo OEM for the door window switch module and MAF. Neither were cheap, as you point out. The module that broke on me was aleady a replacement (set for LHD) and made in China. I thought I might have less grief going OEM. When mine failed, I had to park (all windows were open) on a London street, with the car unlocked, over a bank holiday weekend. I had gone through the module,cleaning directions on here to no gain.

The brake pressure sensor is no longer made. The Volvo guy I have got to know in Wimbledon has to get them from breakers. When mine failed, he bought the "only two he could find in the country" and had installed both by the time I picked my car up. If you want to check you have this failure, look for some wetness beneath the brake master cylinder, dripping onto the servo, and the odd puff of smoke when brake fluid drips down to the exhaust. You won't pass your next MOT. Before then you will be topping up your brake fluid reservoir every couple of months.

The failure is that brake fluid escapes through the electrical connections for the sensor. Poor manufacture, I guess.

Anyway - I hope you get your stumble sorted. Let us know.
Brianjone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2016, 20:19   #8
Christerart
VOC Member

In 2013 my lovely wife and I took our C70 to Sweden and back - total about 3,000 miles.

Here's a slideshow of the trip:

http://www.christerrosewellphotograp...Sweden2013.mov

Last year it was the V70's turn. When we got back home it had done 4,000 miles.

Neither car had any issues at all. The C70 had 68K miles, the V70 130K.

When I moved to the UK in 2009 I had to sell my '92 940SE 114 hp Auto (American model with a factory wing - silly). At that time the odometer showed 310,000 miles.

Everything worked, the sunroof, the A/C, everything like new inside. The only thing that showed it's age was the sun bleached paint (dark grey doesn't do well in Arizona sun)..=*^)

The engine had only had service items, cam belts, oil changes and so on.

Best car I've ever owned.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:17   #9
dustbug69
dustbug69

Just done west wales to Scottish Borders and back in a day 740mile round trip in my 98 V70 XC bad weather with gales and wind and still managed 34mpg ) and comfortable too!!!
dustbug69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 20:29   #10
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christerart View Post
In 2013 my lovely wife and I took our C70 to Sweden and back - total about 3,000 miles.

Here's a slideshow of the trip:

http://www.christerrosewellphotograp...Sweden2013.mov

Last year it was the V70's turn. When we got back home it had done 4,000 miles.

Neither car had any issues at all. The C70 had 68K miles, the V70 130K.

When I moved to the UK in 2009 I had to sell my '92 940SE 114 hp Auto (American model with a factory wing - silly). At that time the odometer showed 310,000 miles.

Everything worked, the sunroof, the A/C, everything like new inside. The only thing that showed it's age was the sun bleached paint (dark grey doesn't do well in Arizona sun)..=*^)

The engine had only had service items, cam belts, oil changes and so on.

Best car I've ever owned.
That's an impressive length of trip !! I assume you done that over the period of a week or so yeah ?