Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New owner questions

Views : 1754

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 20:45   #1
Mr Scisco

Default New owner questions

Hi All.

As mentioned, I'm a newbie so please go easy on my newness.

I've just bought a 1997 V70R AWD auto and have a few questions.

Having read a few threads etc is it correct that it will have a 2.3 engine?

It does have 185k on the clock!!

The ABS light was on but hidden by a parrot device so only spotted it last minute. The brake pedal did feel very spongy but did brake well.

Any advice out there please?

test drive. Everything felt ok and corned nicely. Pulled well and both sport and nd economic mode worked in the gear box. Slight hesitation between the changes but I'm assuming that's as it's 97 technology.

I bought it as it was fairly cheap but I did not do some vital checks, which I'm kicking myself about.
It was described as all major things replaced and we'll looked after but, being a bit of a car nut, I really am starting to doubt my decision.

I'm hoping to pick her up tomorrow and will do and few more checks while I'm there. Not that it's going to save my cash. Already put a deposit down. Oops.

Anyways. If anyone can help out with some advice I'd appreciate it.

thanks
Mr Scisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:08   #2
krussel
Premier Member

I am C70 so my advice is limited.

Yes 185k is getting high but these motors are very strong if reg serviced.

You will need to plug in (buy from ebay) a code scanner to see if you can find out why the abs light. Others can help on that.

It could be something minor like a clogged Abs sensor ring which just needs a clean or something bigger. It is a MOT fail so the seller should really sort this prior to the sale as the car is not really road worthy.

As with any car with this mileage and age you are likely to have to budget for some maintenance to bring the car up to scratch. All the info is on here if you search, pcv system etc.

if your worried then walk away. The abs light is enough to get your deposit back. Are the tyres all legal etc,
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 21:42   #3
Mr Scisco

Hi and thanks for the reply.

To be honest I live on the Isle of Man but the car is still UK registered. We don't have mots here but it will have to pass a sort of MOT. That won't be till Feb next year though.

I'll have a look at the code scanner unless at forum member can sort something. Still new to the site so I'm still looking around it.

PCV system. I will have a search through that. Honestly it was great selling conditions but poor viewing ones. Rain and had my you son with me. Still kinda king myself for buying yet another car with heart even though the gym head said no. However, the asking price is £325 and it comes with a massive roof box. I'm sure I'll make my money back if it goes wrong.

Tyres. Fronts are organ Al comet alloys with decent tread from what I could feel. Again didn't check. Rears looked like 850 alloys with good new Michelin tyres. It passed last MOT with them on and it was noted that the radius of all wheels actually matched rolling radius etc.

I'm told it has a comet alloy as a spare so I am looking for another comet alloy to match the set, anyone have one?
Mr Scisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2014, 22:59   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

At £325 I wouldn't beat yourself up over it, having made the commitment and parted with the cash you may just have a touch of 'buyers remorse' (check it out on Wiki- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer%27s_remorse ). I don't know how significant that sum of money is to you but if it's any consolation I've just spent a lot more on a car for my wife and even as we left the garage to drive home I was thinking 'I hope I made the right decision'.

Running through your posts-
I'm not familiar with the V70R AWD so don't know the engine. If you find the engine code it will be something like B5234T (Benzine 5 cylinder 2.3 litre 4 valves per cylinder Turbo
185k is high but not past it.
Annoying about the ABS light but search the 850 S70 & V70 section for ideas. The spongy brakes are probably a separate issue, I'd start with a good check underneath and bleed through some fresh fluid.
Although there is a socket that looks like OBDII it may not be properly OBDII, there is a way to read the codes with an l.e.d. and some wire and paperclips. (again search the 850 x70 section)

If the weather forecast is to be believed tomorrow should be sunny in the north west so take the time to have a calm look, there's probably a few jobs to do but there's plenty on here to advise how to do it.

and welcome to the world of Volvo addiction

Edit: Sorry I've just realised we're already in the 850 x70 section and I'm pointing you here to find answers.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Nov 22nd, 2014 at 23:23.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 07:05   #5
krussel
Premier Member

I guess £325 is very cheap. Its a lot of car for the money. The roof box is prob worth £80-100 on Fleabay.

The mismatch wheels would drive me nuts though.

I think if your willing to get your hands dirty and do some work on the car yourself you cant go wrong at the price. The scrap value must be about £150.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2014, 10:33   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Hi mate, I've answered quite extensively on the other thread you started, but yes it will be a 2.3 engine, the same as mine - the code should be B5234T6.

My LPG powered V70R has 184k up and runs like new so I wouldn't worry about that. And £325 hit me like a body blow - I'm hoping to sell mine for £1500 in a few weeks time!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote