Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Using a bike rack with a powered tailgate?

Views : 5218

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2014, 19:01   #1
harvey07
Master Member

Default Using a bike rack with a powered tailgate?

Hadn't really thought about this potential issue until today. But as the kids are now able to ride their bikes without any assistance, we would like to start getting back on ours to get out as a family...so hence the dilemma.

We would need the ability to carry 2 x adult & 2 x kids bikes. Even if we get the two kids ones into the boot, I'd still need the ability to carry two adult ones outside.

I've not got a towbar on my XC60 & don't fancy carrying them on the roof, so hence the question re the (powered) tailgate options).

We are not big cyclists & it would be a fairly infrequent requirement (just when we get bored of our immediately local area!) So I don't really want to incur any great expense (I.e won't be fitting a towbar).

Opinions & options appreciated.
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 19:37   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

Not sure what you mean by powered tailgate options..
A Thule bike rack will fit on a towbar and tilt out of the way but you'll need towbar and carrrier so £1k, otherwise roof bars and cycle holders for much less, but you a still talking hundreds
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 20:08   #3
andymcp
Premier Member

I think the assumption in the OP is that since he won't be fitting a towbar, they rack will be one of those fix-it-to-your-back-window jobs, and the question is whether this will kill the powered tailgate if it tris to lift the extra weight of two bikes plus rack.

Of course, if that is the question and it does destroy your powered tailgate, then suddenly the £1k for a towbar and Thule rack will seem cheap by comparison...

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 20:56   #4
Whyman
Premier Member

In answer to your question I think you did not ask. It is unlikely that you will be able to open the tailgate with the kids bikes mounted on it.

A towbar and carrier will be £ 1k+ so roof bars are the cheapest option.
This will give you some room for growth as the kids and their bikes get bigger. Cost will still be few hundred £s. Don't forget that if the bikes obscure the number plate or rear lights you will need a trailer board and towbar electrics to stay fully legal. All in all there may not be much in the cost of the two options

You see many cars with 4 bikes on the roof but I cannot help wondering how many have fallen of or damaged the roof before being fully attached. Getting them up on the roof of a XC60 will be a good workout twice before you go for a ride and twice when you have finished. I am over 6 foot and would not dream of attempting it. I have read in other threads about using step ladders IMHO this will make the loading even more risky and you will have to take them with you of course.

It will also effect your mpg, may restrict access to some locations/carparks and during the summer months the bikes may get covered in dead bugs.

This is why I use a Thule towbar mounted carrier which allows access to the tailgate by folding down out of the way and has very little effect on the mpg and no dead bugs.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 21:07   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I am fairly certain that a tailgate mounted bike rack wont damage the opening mechanism as it is set to stop at the slightest resistance - this also means of course that you won't be able to open the boot electrically as it will simply stop and you will have to force it open by hand.

Plus, given the angle that the XC60 boot lid opens up to I am not sure I would want to put anything onto it as it will fall onto the roof when you it

I see two choices, towbar or roof mounted and the height of the roof means towbar is much more attractive
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 21:08   #6
harvey07
Master Member

Yes, I was referring to a rear window/tail mounted option...although it sounds like I ought to just forget that option too...you are spot on andymcp.

Agree Whyman, the roof option just doesn't look too feasible either...

Sounds like we better just get used to the idea of cycling from here...or renting bikes if we go somewhere on hols.
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 04:23   #7
inego

I've three thule bike rack - the towball mounted G6 (which is totally the nazz, even pivoting down to allow the towbar to be opened), roof mounted (which is also great, but you need to carry a small stepladder to reach the XC60 roof) and a hatch mounted one, which I used twice on my Octavia estate.

The hatch mounted one can't really be opened even with a manual tailgate, scratched the top and bottom of the hatch, and is very difficult for mounting kids bikes, as only one of the two arms will fit through the small kids frames.
The Following User Says Thank You to inego For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2014, 15:44   #8
tangey

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey07 View Post
Sounds like we better just get used to the idea of cycling from here...or renting bikes if we go somewhere on hols.
Assuming you are generally in a place where there are bikes to hire, the £1K being talked about on the thread for the towbar option would hire a hell of a lot of bikes.
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 10:39   #9
Shlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey07 View Post
Hadn't really thought about this potential issue until today. But as the kids are now able to ride their bikes without any assistance, we would like to start getting back on ours to get out as a family...so hence the dilemma.

We would need the ability to carry 2 x adult & 2 x kids bikes. Even if we get the two kids ones into the boot, I'd still need the ability to carry two adult ones outside.

I've not got a towbar on my XC60 & don't fancy carrying them on the roof, so hence the question re the (powered) tailgate options).

We are not big cyclists & it would be a fairly infrequent requirement (just when we get bored of our immediately local area!) So I don't really want to incur any great expense (I.e won't be fitting a towbar).

Opinions & options appreciated.
Hi wondered if you have an answer yet ?
I believe the issue is hoe to attach a rear mounted rack with an electric tail gate not will it left when in place ?
I borrowed a Saris Bones 3 to try and it was a case or removing the tailgate fuse but the rack was not a good fit and the top support legs would pull away from the rear screen not tighten up against it !!
So if you have found a rack that works please let me know as I have all the same issues i.e. don't really want to spend 1k on works car for towbar etc.

thanks and look forward to hearing back.
Or does anybody have any roof bars and racks they want to sell ?
Shlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2015, 18:31   #10
Gilesme

I went for the Thule tow bar carrier over 10 years ago - still going strong. (replaced 2 x roof carriers on old vehicle).

Yes, you need to spec a towbar each time, but the sheer convenience is worth it. From memory in France this year a days hire for the 4 of use would have been 80 Euros - so soon pays for itself as we used ours every day for 2 weeks ! (and you're on your own bike, fits you etc etc).

I think the tailgate is disabled when a lighting plug is inserted (towing caravan / bike rack etc) though i've not tried this ! Some cars also set off the alarm if the lighting plus is removed whilst locked - again, not tried this !

Last edited by Gilesme; Oct 6th, 2015 at 18:33. Reason: Extra
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote