Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking Springs...

Views : 1875

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 31st, 2017, 03:46   #1
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Default Thinking Springs...

So I'm finally going to do my bushings in my '67 two door and while I'm at it, I'm doing IPD sway bars. So then I got a good look at my coils and they're really rusty so it seems sensible to research springs. (this is how we get in trouble, right?!) I've had the car about 3 1/2 years and it took a year to get it back on the road. It was a real barn find and its a pretty good driver now but it needs a new outlook on life. I'd like it a little lower, just an inch or so, and maybe a tad stiffer although my springs are probably way done and anything will feel stiffer. Right now I'm looking at VP Auto down in South Carolina (Yank here...). Some of you may know them as i think they're international and factory backed? Anyway, wondering if anyone has any experience using their linear sport springs as far as ride harshness and general comfort. I don't want a track car. I just want to take advantage of all the third gear twisties we have here and not get the wife upset at how bumpy it is!
So looking for wisdom here, I only want to do this once!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigbunt For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 08:52   #2
tdz840
VOC Member

You have a fair choice over your side of the pond. Not only VP but Skandix and John Parker to name a few.
However this side of the pond has favourable exchange rates so may not be a total loss. An example you may not be aware of but has a good selection
http://www.classicswede.co.uk/Spring...5_2165143.aspx
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tdz840 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 09:32   #3
jamie
amazon1954

Just to second tdz840. A lot of people use Classic Swede for new coils, I think he does 40mm lowered. He even sent me pictures of the effect on Amazons of the different level of lowering. I, like you, just want a small difference and so opted for the 40mm. If you PM me I can forward his email with pictures if you want......and you are so lucky with the exchange rate.
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamie For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 10:17   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Since the brexit vote I have been sending a lot more parts to the US with amazon springs being one of the most popular items
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 12:32   #5
Volvo_133
VOC member

I have just fitted 40mm lowering springs to my Amazon. I bought them from classicswede. They have greatly reduced the body roll on corners. The ride quality is very similar to standard and not too hard. I can put my hand (horizontally) between the wheelarch and the top of each tyre. I am delighted with them.
Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2017, 15:52   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Bb;

It depends how much value you place on appearance and absolute handling...sure, hi perf shocks, lowered springs and anti-sway bars together, along with 70 series gumbies will give you the ultimate handling for going around a (perfect) race-track, but I have found that just gas-shocks with IPD stage 2 (F&R) ASBs, along with standard 80 aspect ratio tires absolutely transform the car's handling into something wonderful in the real world (with imperfect roads)...and that's without changing the spring-rates (and ride, or appearance height) which might make it too harsh, and less fun in the real world.

I'd recommend the ASBs and gas shocks first (I like KYBs for a roadcar over the obscenely expensive Bilsteins), and maybe beadblasting and painting or powder-coating the rusty springs if they bother you that much (important thing is for them not to be fatigued and sagging)...you can always install new lowering/stiffening springs later, at phase two, if you don't get enough satisfaction from phase one...but I almost bet you will...I know I did!

Cheers from just up the road!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: