Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Engine Cutting Out

Views : 17734

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 16:04   #1
V0lvo

Exclamation 850 Engine Cutting Out

Hope someone can help, as my local Volvo dealerships cannot but have charged a lot of money in trying to. I have a 1994 850 GLT with the 143BHP 2.0 20V engine. Its done a 135000 miles, with 1 owner, and has a full service history. This car has been taken care of, and is perfect, except for one detail that has developed in the last 12 months. When the engine is warm, whilst driving/coasting/braking, the engine will cut out. It happens nearly every day but is not consistent. But the engine then starts after a 2 minute pause. I wish it wouldnt as then I could get a dealer to diagnose the issue. But it does start and drives well until it cuts out again. I have had the dealer run through the cars diagnostics, and they only thing they found was the crankshaft sensor which has been replaced. But the issue was not resolved. Anyone faced the same problem and had it resolved. Let me know.
V0lvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 17:18   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Fuel Pump relay?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 17:25   #3
warthog
VOC Member

Hi,

possibly one of the commonest causes for this sort of behaviour is the fuel pump relay (103 under Fuse box cover). This can give a variety of symptoms, most not logging any fault code, but it is a simple and cheap item to try first. Also have a look at the throttle body, after a fair few miles without cleaning it can get a build-up of oil residue and cause poor idling.

Next on the list would possibly be the cam position sensor, but this should log fault codes if it fails. Then we get into areas such as engine temp sensor (faulty readings from this will give incorrect fuelling and engine cut), bad earth on coil pack (another known area of running problems), Tired Idle Control Valve, plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap.

As the car starts again after cooling slightly, it would seem to indicate a heat soak related problem, so I would look at 1. Fuel relay 2. Engine temp sensor 3. Cam sensor.

Hope this gives you something to go on.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 17:26   #4
warthog
VOC Member

Beat me to it Chris!!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 17:41   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
Beat me to it Chris!!

Yes, but your answer was much more detailed and helpful!
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 20:26   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Red face

Let us not forget stuartvolvos epic log with his similar symptoms of not starting when hot. It looks like he had an intermittent connection at his immobiliser. I miss his log. The forum will not be the same again when it goes.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 21:05   #7
V0lvo

Smile

Chaps - Thanks for the prompt replies and details; will definitely get these 3-4items checked and will let you know how I get on.
V0lvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 14:08   #8
volvogirl2

Smile Thanks for the fix.

I had similar problem with my 2.5 10v 850 estate (1994). Original fault code gave temp sensor which I changed. Thought this had sorted it until couple of days later it conked out again but this time with no fault code. Thanks to your forum have replaced the fuel relay and have now had a week or so of reliable driving - great - thanks you saved me a fortune - intermittant faults run up big garage bills! Whilst I'm here what's the life span of the clutch? Have done 140000 on orginal with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog View Post
Hi,

possibly one of the commonest causes for this sort of behaviour is the fuel pump relay (103 under Fuse box cover). This can give a variety of symptoms, most not logging any fault code, but it is a simple and cheap item to try first. Also have a look at the throttle body, after a fair few miles without cleaning it can get a build-up of oil residue and cause poor idling.

Next on the list would possibly be the cam position sensor, but this should log fault codes if it fails. Then we get into areas such as engine temp sensor (faulty readings from this will give incorrect fuelling and engine cut), bad earth on coil pack (another known area of running problems), Tired Idle Control Valve, plugs, leads, rotor arm, dizzy cap.

As the car starts again after cooling slightly, it would seem to indicate a heat soak related problem, so I would look at 1. Fuel relay 2. Engine temp sensor 3. Cam sensor.

Hope this gives you something to go on.
volvogirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:53   #9
RobertE

Default 20v engine cutting out

Hi - I've just joined this happy band and saw your problem. I had a similar issue on my old 20valve and I recall it was something to do with an oil leak from the area of the inlet cam seal wich fouled a sensor or the electrics in some way. It was years ago now and the car is long gone, but it happened at c. 100K. It was vvv expensive to diagnose, but cost about a fiver to fix.
Hope this helps. The problem has not re-presented on my AWD estate, although it has covered a similar mileage.
RobertE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 20:55   #10
Rick Barton
Master Member

Hello Robert,

Do you have an automatic Volvo? Would you keep chickens in it?

Richard.