Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo & 2008 S60 D5 SE Sport......

Views : 14371

Replies : 159

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:09   #1
wisc

Smile New to Volvo & 2008 S60 D5 SE Sport......

Hi all,

I am picking up my first Volvo at 48 years old. It's a previous posters car from this very site. Some of you may have spotted my first post regarding this car as he tried to sell it here first.

I have spent the last 2 months ish, reading as much as possible regarding models/problems/costs etc.
After paying my £500 deposit with the garage I am buying the car from, I found out that it has 4C active Suspension on it.....hmm.....I had previously read a bit about it and many posters saying 'don't buy' etc as the costs are horrendous. I read the 'buy direct from Monroe' threads (quite a few of them) and decided to go ahead with the purchase because this car has exactly what i am looking for in my price range. I have now noticed that Monroe are charging £350 ish each now rather than for 2.......oh well.....I always lose loads of money on my cars as i really look after them and am proactive wrt parts/common failures etc.

So I am going to watch the idle speed with and without aircon on, should be no fluctuation.

take for a spin and test 4C......in both modes (am I right in thinking this model has just 2 modes? or do all 4C models have the 3 ride modes?) This option wasn't advertised by the garage....which makes me wonder a bit. Apparently no codes being thrown up at all and 4C working fine.....I have had a few petrol turbos 4x4's, so hopefully I should be able to notice the ride difference with advanced and throwing into a roundabout?? or will this be difficult? I have never driven an S60 before.

swirl arm thingy......not sure I will actually be able to physically see it on the day, bearing in mind it could be raining and salesguy will be chatting next to me. I presume if it's stuck I will notice by lack of power.

Dreaded DPF/EGR, same as above?......if full of soot/blocked, then ecu will limit boost?

Test all electrics/buttons as per usual for any car.

Car has had cambelt and tensioners replaced yesterday.

Any other advice please? cheers, Nick
wisc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wisc For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:27   #2
wisc

oh, fwiw, although my current location is Exeter, I am actually a poor northener from Teesside and my wife & I will be moving back home next year. ;-)
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:34   #3
Brendan W
Premier Member

My tuppenceworth. Private sale is one thing but you are buying from a garage. It's their responsibility to check everything out and tell you that the car is ok. It's all very well to check the car out yourself but once you start to take on the position of having satisfied youself that it is ok and accept it as is you are little better off than a private sale. You may now be on a slippery slope where you want that car.
The car should be fit for pupose on the day of sale and/or any defects pointed out to you.
What if any warranty is being offered?
Ask that the car be cold when you go to drive it. starting issues show up more then. If it's an auto get the box good and hot, 30 minutes or so and see if still behaves itself.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:39   #4
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
My tuppenceworth. Private sale is one thing but you are buying from a garage. It's their responsibility to check everything out and tell you that the car is ok. It's all very well to check the car out yourself but once you start to take on the position of having satisfied youself that it is ok and accept it as is you are little better off than a private sale. You may now be on a slippery slope where you want that car.
The car should be fit for pupose on the day of sale and/or any defects pointed out to you.
Ask that the car be cold when you go to drive it. starting issues show up more then. If it's an auto get the box good and hot, 30 minutes or so and see if still behaves itself.
totally agree Brendan, I have already set myself up for the fail....I have to get there by train, I have booked only 1 way and I have to change trains twice.....I am bu55ered.....
I can't find an S60 in the colours/spec I wanted in my price range, I have been looking for a bit.
It's a manual btw.

edited to add- we only have one car btw, just our sold car, so we are car-less....always a nightmare when trying to buy your next car. We have no family down here either, although a neighbour has been lending me their only car when needed.

Last edited by wisc; Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:43.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 12:45   #5
wisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
taken from the advert:

'Extra Details
Over £3600 Worth Of Factory Options Fitted To This Vehicle. Comprehensive Service History. Brand New Cambelt And Tensioners. Brand New MOT With No Advisories. 6 Months Unlimited Mileage RAC Platinum Warranty Included, Extendable To 24 Months. HPI Clear, With Certificate. This Car Is In Fantastic Condition And Drives Superbly. Ring To Arrange A Test Drive. Great Finance Deals On Offer. Part Exchange Welcome. Open 7 days a week. All major credit/debit cards accepted. Click On Visit Website Link For 20 Large Photographs Of This Car.'
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 13:35   #6
wisc

I suppose this post was more of a 'Hi all' post only really......as unless all the windows are smashed I will be buying the car....I mean I have already put it on my insurance

so give me a few weeks & I will be back asking how to fix things....then you can all tell me that I should have tested the car properly before buying......
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 13:48   #7
pphilpot
Premier Member

Good luck
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pphilpot For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 17:45   #8
reesky

Smile

Yep, good luck no doubt we will be getting to know you better on here ��
reesky is offline   Reply With Quote