Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Worrying ABS Issue - '97 855 T5

Views : 2108

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:45   #1
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Question Worrying ABS Issue - '97 855 T5

Morning all,

For a few weeks now I've been having a rather worrying issue. Every now and then, when applying the brakes, at slow speed and usually gently, the ABS kicks in so viciously, that I can't actually slow the car.

It feels like there's a stone caught between the pad and the disc and I can't push the pedal down far enough. Hard to explain.

Anyway, the pedal kicks back violently and the car doesn't slow as intended, it certainly keeps one on one's toes...

I have obviously checked for any obstruction in the calipers but cannot find any. There are no score marks on the discs.

Any help gratefully received,

-Richard
PowerOfTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:06   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Is the ABS light on? (Before answering that, check that the light does come on when you first turn on the ignition, which it should do, this proves that the bulb isn't blown - or removed)

Either way, this sounds like you've got an ABS sensor down, a broken/cracked reluctor ring or an ABS ECU fault.

I'd get the codes read, that will point you at which wheel it is, or at least point you in the right direction.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:19   #3
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hi,

only time I had similar symptoms was after heavy usage on a track day. When inspected the brakes I did find a deep gouge on the inside face of one of the discs, so it's likely I had picked up a stone between the pad and disc.

Whether that was the only thing causing the vibration is a different question, as I also managed to get some pad deposits on the disc coming in off a hot lap.

If you think you can identify which corner it's coming from so much the better but either way I think an inspection is needed to rule out the discs/pads - *unless* you find you have ABS fault codes. As I say, I couldn't see the gouge on mine as it was the inner face. Perhaps the same has happened in your case?

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:13   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Actually - another thought, just thinking this through, if it's a dodgy reluctor ring, then it won't put the ABS light on, because the system will just think that one wheel is skidding.

So if you have a working ABS light bulb but no ABS light, this is favourite.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:16   #5
PowerOfTheBlues
Brother in arms...

Yes, my ABS light works and isn't on after start up. Surely if it's a broken ring it will happen all the time?

- Richard
PowerOfTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 12:30   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerOfTheBlues View Post
Yes, my ABS light works and isn't on after start up. Surely if it's a broken ring it will happen all the time?

- Richard
Not necessarily. Usually the reluctor rings crack - the crack may be such that sometimes the ABS will not detect it, and act normally, and other times it may detect the crack, count more (or less) "pulses" and assume the wheel is skidding. This variance might be heat related, or pure chance.

Either way, it will only happen when you try and apply the brakes.

If you don't have the light on then you probably don't have codes, so I'd suspect something on or around the wheel/brake area rather than the ECU, however without codes it's hard to tell which wheel is causing the problem, so it's a laborious task checking them all individually.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 15:22   #7
DSK
C70 T5

ABS Tone Rings see here for details;

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/13858-s..._1#entry160890

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 16:05   #8
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
ABS Tone Rings see here for details;

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/13858-s..._1#entry160890

Wot DSK said ...Broken Tooth on yer tone ring ....DSK is 100% CORRECT with this I've had myself on me old Saab ...
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 16:06   #9
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Exclamation

Check your tyre sizes, I know they probably are all the same, and tyre pressures are the same. Also take the wheel sensors out of their holders and de-gunk them. The next thing would be wiring, there is a known problem with a specific range of 850's that had bad crimp connectors uner the fusebox which caused pulsey pedal at low speeds, I should know, which involves changing the wiring to the front sensors. I checked the resistance of the cable to one of my front sensors and it read 300ohms where as it should have been less than 2ohms!

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, braking system, not stopping