Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Broadband access from caravan - recomendations?

Views : 5090

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2012, 23:45   #1
c_lee
VOC26332

Default Broadband access from caravan - recomendations?

In June we had just over 3 weeks away in the caravan touring in Cornwall, Devon & Dorset.

For the first time I took the laptop with us for Internet access so that we would be able to research areas we visited, recover any eMails, & keep an eye on the ( rainy ) weather during the trip.

I had recently installed an external USB Wi-Fi dongle in an elevated position and was able to use this when sites had an access point available.
Often the connection was a bit flaky and intermittent as we were sometimes distant from the sites access point.
Often there was no Wi-Fi available at sites at all.

I thought that it might be a good idea to buy a PAYG Internet dongle before our next trip but the thought didn't cross my head again till today ( on the eve of our next trip ).

My mobile phone is not a modern smart phone with Internet, it's a £15 basic PAYG phone bought from Argos a few years ago. A £10 top up lasts me weeks and it suits me fine.

I don't plan to change the phone and in any case would want Internet on a big screen ( IE laptop ).

We wouldn't be using Internet in the caravan for general browsing, just for the purposes I mentioned.

Does anyone have any recomendations that would suit our use.
Particularly which mobile Internet PAYG service to use.

I wont be able to reply for a few days being that this next trip will be on a THS site.

Colin

Last edited by c_lee; Jul 24th, 2012 at 23:53.
c_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 13:19   #2
DC850
VOC Member

I have a Mobile internet with Virgin giving me up to 3MB/S (dependant on signal) my is contract (£5.00/Month) I think Virgin do PAYG but you could check. Had my for about 3-4 years now and only a coulpe of sites I have not had some form of connection.
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DC850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 19:20   #3
jayhl7

Cool

I had a 3 dongle on payg which worked quite well, I would recommend that you check the network coverage of any and all to double check which is best for you, Cheers Jay
jayhl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayhl7 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 19:49   #4
xc70jason
Premier Member

Hi,what about a giffgaff gigabag?,

http://giffgaff.com/goodybags#data

I suppose that you'd just need too get a o2 dongle and stick the sim in as Giffgaff run on the o2 network.I've not used one of these myself but,i have been on the mobile phone network for about 12 month's and honestly,i dont have a bad word too say about it.

Jason

Last edited by xc70jason; Jul 25th, 2012 at 19:53.
xc70jason is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xc70jason For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 23:13   #5
Thanatos
VOC Member

The best way would be to use a 3G modem on USB but get one with an external antenna as this can boost the range and signal 3 fold.

I have one of these and it good in areas that have poor signal
TP-LINK Technologies TP-LINK TL-MR3420 3G/3.75G 300Mbps Wireless N Router
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 19:17   #6
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I use an Orange SSID (whatever that stands for) Wifi Key. To connect my iPad whilst caravanning . Seems to connect most of time, sometimes can be a little slow. But most of the time it'll run even the TV apps, so can watch uk tv of an evening in the van here in France.

The other day I'd left it switched on and folks in my gite through two concrete block walls said there PC was picking it up as well as my home B/band, lol
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 14:42   #7
pagan8c
Master Member

I have a vodafone mifi which is on a 1 month rolling contract.It is a great little peice of equipment which allows you to work up to 5 different wifi laptops or ipads etc.cost £49 for the MIFi (1 off payment) and then you choose how much you want to pay for broadband.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 00:07   #8
c_lee
VOC26332

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Tonight I've been looking further into this based on your suggestions.

Hmm - I can see this is not going to be as straightforward as I expected if I want a package to exactly suit my use.

I guess I'm looking for something similar to the use I have with my mobile phone where I can load it with, say, £10 and that credit doesn't have to be used within a specific period of time.
I can use it gradually over as long as it lasts then top it up again.
Months can go by before I use up that £10 credit but it doesn't expire.

My impression is that with mobile broadband that is not the case.
PAYG credits appear to expire within a specified time period if not used from what I've seen tonight.
Guaranteed usage of the whole of the credit within that time period is not assured being that the use will be intermittent in the caravan.

That use depends on multiple things like weather, available time off work etc as to whether we will use the caravan at all within the time slot. Especcially in winter.
And, when we do use it, will we use it to take maximum advantage of the use we have paid for without that use expiring.

IE will we get all the usage we have paid for before it expires and this is the crux of it.

I hate having things taken from me that I have paid for - especcially by corporate bodies that have decided my spending rate doesn't meet their prefered customer profile.
In my mind I've paid for it so it's mine.

Thinking cap required!

BTW we've just had a few nights on a THS at Glasson Dock just south of Lancaster and it was a good break.
Nightly rate was £5.
The ground was a bit soft though and we had to have the caravan towed off by a 4wd - the V70 Auto even in L in Winter mode couldn't cope.

Colin
The Following User Says Thank You to c_lee For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 23:24   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

I wish I had seen this posting before sunday!
We went to a carboot sale and I bought a Mobile Broadband USB Stick 610 from T-Mobile.Cost me £2 it has a sim card and can be topped up the same as a pay as you go phone.When I got home and looked to see how good a service it offers in the area we holiday I noticed it's regarded as very poor.
Ah well £2 won't break the bank but I should have not bothered Lol.
Buy in haste repent in liesure eh?
Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 15:21   #10
minesa240x3
loyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesa240x3 View Post
I wish I had seen this posting before sunday!
We went to a carboot sale and I bought a Mobile Broadband USB Stick 610 from T-Mobile.Cost me £2 it has a sim card and can be topped up the same as a pay as you go phone.When I got home and looked to see how good a service it offers in the area we holiday I noticed it's regarded as very poor.
Ah well £2 won't break the bank but I should have not bothered Lol.
Buy in haste repent in liesure eh?
Regards Brian.
Well heres an update.The T-mobile dongle works absolutely fine unlike the clubwifi package set up on our site.
The T-mobile sim is easily topped up and price range is very good IMHO.I got the Any seven days use in one month for £10,Or there is a week fixed useage for £7,and one day usage for £2.
The signal strength always reports 74% but maybe seems fantastic as this ancient old laptop is so incredibly slow.Wouldn't dare try downloading anything resource heavy with it.It freezes just going on you tube Lol.

It connects with no problems and so far I'm very pleased indeed.

The wifi on site was rubbish ;last year and we were right next to the pole?This year it's across the field and only connected once but the signal was to poor to actually work.So wasted £6 just for hassle.

Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post: