Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reason for marks on bonnet shut panel?

Views : 1404

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2010, 20:27   #1
2.4TSE
Master Member

Default Reason for marks on bonnet shut panel?

I collected the C30 T5 SE Sport that I'm giving to my wife today and still have the smile on my face. In fact, I'm wondering if she'd like my V70 instead

Question: Lift the bonnet and a black plastic trim panel is revealed against which the bonnet shuts closed. Follow this trim panel to the right and it starts to bend back as it reaches the right hand headlamp case. For the few inches before it bends back it is very scuffed right on the rear lip and a quick peek show that so too is the paint on the metal structural panel underneath.

The marks are such that they look like they have come from a spanner handle knocking on the edge of the panel during maintenance, but maintaining what? The car has had three scheduled services from new and the absence of other tell tale signs convinces me the bodywork is all original, so I'm puzzled!

Ideas, please?

TVM,
2.4TSE

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 21:02   #2
markt1
Trader

Hi can you post some photos then we can all have a good look i do a little bit of spannering but my trade is painting cars so i maybe able make sense or someone else may
Regards Mark.
markt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 00:59   #3
2.4TSE
Master Member

Sure thing!

Will probably be on Sunday as I'm up at sparrows o'clock this morning, Saturday, (so ought really to be going to bed now!) and won't be back home until the small hours of Sunday morning.

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 20:25   #4
2.4TSE
Master Member

Well I took the photos on Sunday, but thanks to work overload it took until now to post them! I'm glad I did take them actually as the precise location of the marks is a little different to what my brain recalled; rather than being before the slam panel bends out to clear the rear face of the offside headlamp in fact the marks are on this section.

The last two photos are of course taken with the camera inside the engine bay pointing back towards the front of the car.

Cheers,
2.4TSE

Last edited by 2.4TSE; Aug 17th, 2010 at 20:30.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 20:33   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

first impression is something heavy has been dragged past the panel has the engine ever been out? Or perhaps the engine has gone forward and rubbed it in a front accident?
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 20:49   #6
2.4TSE
Master Member

Hi Clan,

No evidence of an insurance claim in the paperwork or via other checks I have made and the paintwork on all the panels feels "right". By this I mean it all has the same light swirl marks consistent with three years of hand washing and before I polished it and thus removed any evidence felt the same to the palm when a hand was dragged over it. Before I purchased the car I also removed both headlights to check the hidden ends of the chassis rails and both appeared unmolested and unrepaired and with a layer of dust on them commensurate with three years of use. None of the engine mounting bolts or those associated with major structures show spanner marks. I would therefore be amazed if the engine had ever been out.