Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 d5 oil change - £115 incl vat!!!!! Really?

Views : 6748

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 21:07   #1
soupytwister
Master Member

Default xc90 d5 oil change - £115 incl vat!!!!! Really?

Had oil & filter change done at local dealer today (neither main dealer, nor volvo indy), and got charged £96+vat for 7.5l of synthetic oil - the filter was £7+vat on top!!

Didn't see bill at time as wife picked car up.

Feel like pi$$ being taken here!! If was main dealer, could prob understand, but........
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 21:15   #2
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
Had oil & filter change done at local dealer today (neither main dealer, nor volvo indy), and got charged £96+vat for 7.5l of synthetic oil - the filter was £7+vat on top!!

Feel like pi$$ being taken here!! If was main dealer, could prob understand, but........
i thought it should be 5.7 litres. if its more than half way it could cause problems when the DMF regenerates.

that fully synthetic stuff is expensive. can't remember how much i last paid, as was in with entire service.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 07:58   #3
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Default not the wifes fault

no offence intented but you should have got a price before you left car in , your wife only paid the bill,we all make mistakes hopefully learn from them ,good luck for next time.
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:26   #4
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

that's not a bad price taking into account the cost of oil, oil filter and labour, you lucky that you could have paid this.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133371
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:29   #5
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
i thought it should be 5.7 litres. if its more than half way it could cause problems when the DMF regenerates..
I also think 7.5l is a little on the high side but does make sense of why the price is what it is. I think OP should return to said garage and question the amount of oil used - therefore the price too! (bet garage just says clerical error though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by david philips View Post
no offence intented but you should have got a price before you left car in , your wife only paid the bill,we all make mistakes hopefully learn from them ,good luck for next time.
Agreed! Never leave an open cheque! Always get an agreed price or at the very least an estimate. There are cirumstances when of course that would not be possible but fo a simple oil change.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 09:52   #6
soupytwister
Master Member

Hi

Not blaming the wife! The bill is still outstanding as she only picked the car up, with me to pay it over phone today.

It was done as part of a service which already had a fixed cost, so that price is for the oil alone rather than labour too.

Yes, should have got a price in hindsight, but never paid that much for oil per litre - I suspect they're going to tell me they bought it in 1l bottles as there was no 5l available at the motor factor or something

Anyway, will query it when I phone to pay (or pay minus the oil until they verify that cost).

Looking around, reckon that Mobil 1 would have been ~£75 incl vat at Halfords, but you can never be sure if they've used premium oil at the garage either.

Next time, could supply own oil, but then as someone has once said before, you don't take your own bacon and eggs to a cafe, so why should you take your own oil - guess some mechanics may get offended (although in theory shouldn't given I pay the bills!).
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 10:27   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi

Not blaming the wife! The bill is still outstanding as she only picked the car up, with me to pay it over phone today.

It was done as part of a service which already had a fixed cost, so that price is for the oil alone rather than labour too.

Yes, should have got a price in hindsight, but never paid that much for oil per litre - I suspect they're going to tell me they bought it in 1l bottles as there was no 5l available at the motor factor or something

Anyway, will query it when I phone to pay (or pay minus the oil until they verify that cost).

Looking around, reckon that Mobil 1 would have been ~£75 incl vat at Halfords, but you can never be sure if they've used premium oil at the garage either.

Next time, could supply own oil, but then as someone has once said before, you don't take your own bacon and eggs to a cafe, so why should you take your own oil - guess some mechanics may get offended (although in theory shouldn't given I pay the bills!).
So that will be £75 true cost for the oil but by the time the garage sends the gash hand down to buy it along with the bacon rolls you are probably being charged full labour rates for the privelege. So it probably rings true that way round.

Most garages don't blink an eye if you supply your own parts so don't see that it would be any different with oil, after all your paying for the labour for them to do the job. Although they won't be able to make that extra little bit of a mark up on the items (read little as HUGE!!).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 08:25   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
i thought it should be 5.7 litres. if its more than half way it could cause problems when the DMF regenerates.

that fully synthetic stuff is expensive. can't remember how much i last paid, as was in with entire service.
The dealers have always asked me to bring in 7litres if I supply my own oil.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:01   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Firstly 7.5 litres is AT LEAST one litre too much .
163 bhp = 6.5 litres 185 bhp = 5.7 litres

Secondly which oil exactly did they use ?
163 bhp on 12000 intervals you can use 5w/30 A3/B3 spec
185 bhp 18000 intervals must be 0w/30 A5/B5 spec .

The retail price of 0w/30 A5B5 CAN be £13 a litre so worth finding out exactly what they did .
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 12:04   #10
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Firstly 7.5 litres is AT LEAST one litre too much .
163 bhp = 6.5 litres 185 bhp = 5.7 litres

Secondly which oil exactly did they use ?
163 bhp on 12000 intervals you can use 5w/30 A3/B3 spec
185 bhp 18000 intervals must be 0w/30 A5/B5 spec .

The retail price of 0w/30 A5B5 CAN be £13 a litre so worth finding out exactly what they did .
FRF in Swansea requested I bring in 7litres for my 185 07MY when they did the service last year. I brought 7 one litre bottles and they left seven empty ones in my boot so are you sure on this Clan? It seems that they nicked 1.3 litres of my oil if you are correct.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote