Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do I choose

Views : 1109

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2012, 21:18   #1
mikesilverfox

Default How do I choose

I'm looking to purchase a used XC90 D5 probably a 2007/08 facelift model.

The question is the Geartronic is in far more plentiful supply that the 6 speed manual. I've always had a manual and am wary of making the switch. Particularly as the economy is slightly poorer and the tax band seems to be higher.

So I'm looking for some advice as to what people think of their Geartronic XC90s. Do you wish you had gone manual.

Most of my daily commute is in the Thames Valley using the M4 in heavy traffic. Weekends are either local or longer motorway runs to Wales for example. But at least once a year I'll load the car and go to the Alps which typically means climbing snowy mountains with the snow chains on. My manual box copes admirably with all these conditions and anything else thrown at it.

So how does the Geartronic stack up?

Any servicing or mantenance issues with the Geartronic?

Thanks

Mike
mikesilverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 21:29   #2
The Painter

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago, couldn't decide until I test drove.

The Geartronic suits the car so well, the D5 has so much torque and makes driving effortless everywhere.

With regards to your snow concern, the Geartronic has a winter switch which basically pulls away in 2nd and changes up much sooner letting the torque do the work.

Sales of the manual were so low that the XC is no longer available with a manual box, it isn't a bad manual, but in a car like the XC you really don't want to be faffing about with a clutch.

Take a look at the competition for reassurance, no larger 4x4 ever sells well with a manual box, in much the same way high performance cars don't sell well with Auto's.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:04   #3
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Recently purchased a new XC90 but I had been looking when new manuals were still available.

I test drove a manual but I could not get on with the foot operated parking brake.

Two problems:
1. I found the leg angle bad. That is where my foot had to be when on the pedal to apply the brake was not a good place.
2. When driving a manual gearbox I discovered that I use the handbrake a lot. This included uphill junctions, traffic light etc etc etc. The foot parking brake stopped me doing this & led to a dash from the brake pedal to the accelerator when moving off - this is particularily not good with a caravan on a hill start. I know that others will tell you that you soon adapt but I didn't like the idea let alone the reality.

I now own an automatic & love it. It is a big lazy car & the auto suits it well.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:20   #4
mikesilverfox

Thumbs up I take the point about the foot operated parking brake...

In my current manual I do find that I've virtually done away with the 'handbrake' when driving, and have got very good at doing hill starts :-)

Both of you offer useful advice and I hadn't realised that manual transmission had been dropped from the current line-up which is of course rather telling.

Do you tend to leave it in full auto or find you are using the Gear selector? Do you experience lag when accellerating such as to join a motorway.

I'm going to test drive a few and see how I get on.

Thanks again
mikesilverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 19:31   #5
dr90

A modern auto-box will change gear faster than any driver and are powershift; ideal when accelerating flat-out.

On our 90 you can opt to change manually and they 'lock-up' on 3rd gear upwards for engine braking and economy.
dr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 22:54   #6
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

99%+ of the time full auto. As I am sure you know modern diesels work in a fairly narrow power band & the auto does a good job of keeping the engine working well.

I might switch to manual very occasionally to select a lower gear ready for that overtaking opportunity - but it really isn't necessary.

I often select neutral if waiting at traffic lights etc (one step up the selector).

A modern auto box will accelerate quicker than a manual in the real world. The initial step off is quicker in the manual if you are brutal with the clutch but then unless you are a magazine road tester who doesn't mind wrecking a gearbox every day the auto will choose the right gear, change gear much quicker and thus out accelerate the manual.

Last edited by ChrisE; May 6th, 2012 at 22:59.
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:20   #7
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesilverfox View Post
In my current manual I do find that I've virtually done away with the 'handbrake' when driving, and have got very good at doing hill starts :-)

Both of you offer useful advice and I hadn't realised that manual transmission had been dropped from the current line-up which is of course rather telling.

Do you tend to leave it in full auto or find you are using the Gear selector? Do you experience lag when accellerating such as to join a motorway.

I'm going to test drive a few and see how I get on.

Thanks again

To answer your questions, I leave mine in full auto most of the time but I do use manual in some instances, on a twisty road I prefer to have a little extra input on change points and engine braking.

With regard to lag, my own car has no delay whatsoever in any circumstance, the demonstrator I drove prior to placing my order had no lag either, however some members have complained of a delay when pulling away from a standstill, so when buying a used vehicle this maybe an essential test.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:10   #8
Westyman
VOC Member

Though not XC90, I made a tentative switch to Auto gearbox on Volvo number 3 and now, on Volvo number 6, wouldn't consider anything else. They've got much better too. Lock-up means the fuel consumption penalty is much reduced though annoyingly can mean you cross from one DVLA band to the next for RFL.

Current car has electric P/B which I guess would have no effect on use with manual or auto. My daughter was buying a MB Vito van last year which has a foot operated P/B too and I got her to try an auto as well as manual as I thought auto would make use of the P/B easier. In the end, being young....didn't appreciate the auto and went for manual. She has no problems now with the foot operated P/B, just has got used to slipping into neutral before applying it.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:54   #9
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Painter View Post
I prefer to have a little extra input on change points and engine braking.
Assuming we are talking diesel here, TBH, I didnt think you got "engine braking" as such, because there is no throttle vacuum with diesel engines ... maybe a bit extra drag from the box if it is in manual, but even that will auto shift down, once near its stall point ... I suspose you may get back pressure in the exhaust from "turbo-stall" when the throttle is released, but it wont be anything like the throttle vacuum from a petrol engine.

Just been out for a drive ... in auto didnt notice much at all, in manual ... not much more, then out in the petrol Clio .... much more pronounced ... diff weight and gearing I'd suspose ... but couldnt really see much effect on the Tank!

Last edited by TruckbusUK; May 7th, 2012 at 14:35. Reason: spelling
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote