Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Misc 460 issues

Views : 1956

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2009, 12:17   #1
veegard

Default Misc 460 issues

• Servosteering is slow.. feels like i'm driving a tractor
  • It sounds like a tractor.
  • My front left brake is hugging the caliper or somethin, rim gets warm after driving. Should I pop off the wheel, unscrew everything and reassemle?
  • The debug-LEDs which gives fault codes does not work. With my old ECU it only worked in slot #7, giving SRS error codes.
  • Now with my new ECU it gives no light at all.
  • Drivers seat heating doesn't work
  • My rear foglights button just pops out again, won't stay in. Light is working fine.
  • It has a 20-25mpg fuel consumption.
  • It doesn't go very far in second or third gear, it gives me almost no power after second gear 50km/h. Pretty much have to use 4th gear on anything after 45km/h to have a sane amount of engine noise and for it to pull nicely.
  • Interior lights doesn't come on when I open the door
  • Central locking doesn't work

Anyone got any tips on any of this? Most important is the fuel consumption atm.
veegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 15:06   #2
ahal
Master Member

Hmm ... don't know what the mileage or overall condition is, but I guess regarding the running there are quite a few options. Plug leads / spark plugs / distributer cap would be a good starting point, all cheap. A good engine cleaner + oil change maybe?

I'm not an electro - mechanical whizz, but could a dodgy sensor be affecting the running? Another thing which comes to mind would be an engine compression test.

Re: the electrics, sounds like you really do have it bad ... did someone mess with the car before you bought it or something? Sounds like a long appointment with a good auto electrician for the future ...

Regards,

Tony.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 13:46   #3
veegard

The car has gone 200 000 km. That's about 130k miles. Mechanical condition looks fine, engine bay looks fine, it has some leaks here and there, a little rust, and obviously a lot of small electrical problems which I'm in the process of sorting out.

There were some "strange" connections in order to get a faulty ecu working made.. Wrote about that in another thread.
Swapped the ECU, all wiring is now standard, except for some extra instruments that I mounted.
Also swapped thermostat, fan thermostat controller, temp sender on engine block and wiper fluid pump. All broken..

I have also recently swapped spark plugs, and fuel consumption was a problem before that too. Plug leads look okay, it's running reasonably good, I don't know how the distributer cap looks inside though...
I'll try some engine cleaner maybe, oil is a bit in the low, but it doesn't look very brown or bad in any other way.

I think maybe I will need to check out the sensors that give information to the ECU about air / fuel mixture.. Even though I think the engine performs good, it's clearly running very rich. I get white smoke out back, and I can run it at very very low rpms before the engine stops by itself.. What other symptoms are there on a rich fuel mixture?
I guess I can rule out the fuel pump, because it will give less gas if the pump is bad, and is there a logical way it can give too much gas? Anyway, the injectors should limit that despite a change of pressure, shouldn't they? Not sure..

I think I've been through the electrical starting system pretty thoroughly, I think there's something with the fuel system that does it.
Either it's the mass air sensor-thingy, the vacuum hoses or the fuel filter or something.. Am I thinking straight here?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 15:24   #4
B20F
Master Member

Which engine, B18U, B18FT, B20F or...? You''re talking about the massair thingy (MAF sensor), that would mean it's a turbo, correct? If the smoke from the exhaust is white it isn't oil burning but water. Oil smoke would be either blueish or black. Does the white smoke dissapear when engine is thoroughly hot or not? Did you check the water level?

Last edited by B20F; Jan 27th, 2009 at 15:29.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:01   #5
veegard

Oh, whoops! Forgot to write which engine I had.. It's a B20F, no turbo. MAF in combination with the oxygen sensor measures the airflow into the engine, and if something's wrong then that will screw up the mixture. So.. gonna have to try and see if that is the case.

What else can there be than a bad mixture that causes high consumption? Because as it is now, I just can't afford driving it more than a minimum..

I'll have to check the smoke thing out..
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 13:27   #6
B20F
Master Member

Only the turbo engines have a MAF, the N/A engines have a MAP sensor. This is the small black box on the scuttle below the windscreen, it has GM written on it. It doesn''t measure airflow but instead measures the amount of vacuum in the inelt manifold. It has a small black vacuumhose running to the manifold, check that one for leaks.
Excessive fuel consumption can also be caused by a bad lambda. Here is a link to an excellent article about testing your lambda:
http://volvo480.dragons.org.uk/forum...ic.php?t=14683