Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nordic Light Oak Console

Views : 3123

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2016, 13:25   #1
Smashed Monkey
Suffolk V50

Question Nordic Light Oak Console

Hi there, this is probably one of those frequent requests, but I have just acquired a 2011 V50 and it has the silver aluminium trim (console, A/C panel and door handles).

I really like the appearance and feel of the wood panels and the Nordic Light Oak would be my choice. Are these components still available? I have searched eBay and general websites, but the only hits are all from the US.

There is some mention of them on the Volvo UK site, but no idea of price or availability. Anyone out there that has a kit for sale or knows where I can get these at a sensible price?

Many thanks.
Smashed Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 15:54   #2
iainmd

FRF Volvo in Cardiff is where I got mine although mine were replacement aluminium ones. They cost about £180 all-in IIRC but that was 3yrs ago.

Give them a call quoting discount code C3 and see what they can do for you.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 20:50   #3
Smashed Monkey
Suffolk V50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
FRF Volvo in Cardiff is where I got mine although mine were replacement aluminium ones. They cost about £180 all-in IIRC but that was 3yrs ago.

Give them a call quoting discount code C3 and see what they can do for you.
Many thanks, I will give them a try
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 00:23   #4
ripstandem

Default Wood trim

No way, I can't see that would help.
Make sure you get right year interior changed 2007-8 I think.
Console. door handles and compartment surround is what I bought, a wood veneer over plastic mouldings. I found the items on fleebay, impressed with packing and delivery.
Find proper installation instructions job a bit fiddly all centre console needs to slide back, slow and steady job.
Good luck
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2016, 01:02   #5
Mcpx

The trim is available in aluminium, R-Design (grey metalic swirls), virtual white and the Nordic light oak. There were also a few model spedific finishes like the very dark and very plastic looking wood effect, base models got a grey plastic known as bauxite. In the case of the Nordic light oak I'm afraid it is actually plastic but with a very thin layer of real wood veneer on the face, the sides are colored to give the impression of formed plywood and overall it works well and is very convinincing. You can sand and refinish it but you wouldn't want to do it too often. If it were possible to actually form wood into that shape, it probably wouldn't stay that shape for very long.

Here you go, prices are what you would pay at a dealer if they actually had stock.

Waterfall console £226.45 + £4.99 p&p

Tunnel Console £99.99 + £4.99 p&p

Door Trims £134.95 + £4.99 p&p (not available in R-Design)

All in comes to £476.36 although you probably have a case for combined postage so could save a tenner there

I have the aluminium and it is terrible for dents and scratches, so I got a bauxite one on eBay for 40 quid and wrapped it, does the job and looks good but I'm not really a carbon fibre kind of guy so I also got another one that I'm prepping for either custom paint or a hydrodip, can't decide which, but I'll end up with a one off for a fraction of the cost of the factory stuff.
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 03:23   #6
DavieC

Keep an eye on eBay. I picked up a full set from there for pennies not long ago
DavieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2016, 13:32   #7
geoffco

You can, with a little bit of effort make a fairly convincing replica yourself, for a lot less money than the real ones!
Just buy some 3M vinyl wrap in the right colour (various wood textures available), take the aluminium parts off and then wrap them... After a few youtube videos and a bit of practice I was able to learn it and do mine. Just need a craft knife and a hair dryer.
After trying out a wood trim (a nice dark pine) I actually settled on 3M '3D carbon fiber' - see pics here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=214228

Geoff
geoffco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffco For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 15:55   #8
StatusRed
Premier Member

My car has the Nordic Light Oak, but you're not having mine!

In all seriousness if you do manage to find a kit to fit it, you'll like it; it feels and looks classy

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 17:43   #9
ripstandem

Default I bought from U.S.

Hi, I had V 50 about three years ago and admired wood trim, price then for replacement was about £350-400 going from memory.
Took a chance and bought from a U.S, breakers, got photos of car S40 and ordered from quality of pics.
Parts turned up about ten days after order via UPS tracked items from Cincinnati, gave then a light fine sanding and a touch of spray varnish and fitted next day.
All this cost about £85 parts/shipping/can of varnish. Looked good, best trim esp. with leather
ripstandem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ripstandem For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2016, 20:49   #10
Smashed Monkey
Suffolk V50

So are they actually wood then? I thought they were a very convincing plastic. I'm tempted to try US ones as they are fairly cheap sounding. Can you recall the breaker or site you found which had them on?

Thanks,
Pete.

Tags
console wood nordic oak, dash, oak trim