Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying Advice on V70 T5 or AWD R

Views : 2265

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 20:27   #1
Bradders

Hello

Being new to Volvo's I need some advice. I'd like to buy a V70 T5 or AWD R. However limited prior knowledge of the marque leaves a big gap in my knowledge. The reason for buying one is a new member of the family (honest). I'd like the shape that came after the 850. I think they were built from 98-00. What I'd like to know is:

1) Are there any major problems with the cars, common faults etc.
2) Is the seven seat standard or an option?
3) Buying advice what to look for when buying one, any hints and tips!
4) What mileage can the cars do without major problems?
5) Any indication of price.
6) Any other useful information anyone has about buying one or where's a good place to find one.

Thanks in advance!
Chris
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 00:28   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Buying Advice on V70 T5 or AWD R

A huge difference between the two in potential issues and availability - the R is a rare car and even more so in the AWD form.

AWD cars do have serious restrictions in their tyre wear situation - do a search on AWD in the Performance and 850 forums and you'll see what I mean.

7 seats are an option on all cars and airconditioning is a common problem for all 850/70 series cars as the very latest Which report agrees on.

Take a look at the cars offered in this site, since most are from club members and will have been looked after.

The high-performance Volvos need TLC for a trouble-free life, so if you have any doubts about their past, walk away.

Prices are very weak and you should pick up a good example for around £10K and sometimes for a lot less.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 00:48   #3
volvotuning

I think you should go for the FWD and not AWD. The AWD is slower because it has extra transmission loss and is a lot heavier too.

Adam.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:27   #4
sarge
Master Member

True, but it's very competent in the snow and the wet.

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 11:42   #5
Matt_Watkins

>True, but it's very competent in the snow and the wet.
>
>Sarge
>'99 V70 AWD

And when powering hard off a round about ;-)

Also the heater matrix is a very week part and prone to faliure. Other than that just check for the usual stuff ie.
1. No blue smoke under hard acceleration
2. All the electrics work
3. Check the aircon works
4. Check there are no scuffs around the tail gate area

If you find a car you like, note the registration and pop to your local Volvo dealer. Give them the number and they can tell you if the car has a full dealer history, or if there are any outstanding re-calls on the car.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 19:52   #6
Bradders

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm pretty much convinced now that this is the car to get, think I'll look for either and see what comes up.

One question, can the 7 Seat option be fitted later? Guess I ought to get to the local dealer and have a chat.

Thanks
Chris

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 21:13   #7
Matt_Watkins

Yes. You can buy the extra 2 seats from dealer. Some of the cars come with a built in booster seat in the rear arm rest.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 15:22   #8
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Chris,

The T5 and R AWD are worlds apart, both having numerious advantages and disadvantages over one and other.
The T5 is more reliable and its performance is vertually the same as the R AWD (Auto models).
The R AWD is much heavier due to the AWD system however in the wet it is capable of doing things the T5 could only dream of. Thus I quess it would be some what safer in the winter months as well, as it has full time four wheel drive.

The big draw back with the AWD models is its reliability, saying that I have never experienced any problems but I have heard some horror stories. As a rule of thumb if you purchase the AWD model you will be required to rotate the tyres every 5K miles in order to ensure even tyre wear. It is essential to keep an eye on the tyres as it is important to ensure that tyre wear from front to back is no more than 2mm.
Another draw back is, if you experience a puncture you cannot simply replace one tyre. Worse case senario is you will have to replace all four tyres in one hit, but depending upon tyre wear you may get away with just having to replace two tyres.

It really depends upon how long you are prepared to keep the car for and how much money you are willing to spend on it. I purchased an R AWD in the full knowledge of what I was letting myself in for and have no regrets. On reflection if I was only intent on keeping the car a few years I would suggest you go for a V70 R as opposed to the V70 R AWD model. Once again a very rare R model.

The advantage of the R over the T5 is it has a better interior, slightly better performance and the rarety value. All in all probably the best one to go for.

Which ever one you decide on, be prepared to spend money on servicing and repairs as its no Toyota Corolla.

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue

1994 Volvo 480ES 2.0i (In and out of Roadworthiness)
2017 Toyota Land Cruiser, daily car
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 22:14   #9
Bradders

Patrick

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see a V70 R tomorrow. I'll kep you posted on the result!

Regards
Chris
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 11:08   #10
Bradders

>Thanks for the advice, I'm going to see a V70 R tomorrow.
>I'll kep you posted on the result!

Went to see the car, what a shed! It needed:
1)new discs all round
2) All the wheels refurbishing
3) A respray (looked like it had been cleaned with a brillo pad).
4) new interior (it was beige and the leather had more dirt on it than heaven knows what!)

These are just the major points.

On the plus points it drove beautifully and convinced me this is the car I'm after.

Oh well on with the search !!!!