Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gambling on a 6 speed 2006 v70 d5

Views : 1874

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 13:01   #1
Millie20

Default Gambling on a 6 speed 2006 v70 d5

Hello folks,

First off, if this isn't the correct place for this thread, apologies.

I'm a bit of a risk taker by nature (read - impulsive), I've benefited many times, but it's also burned me.

I over paid for a 6 speed 2006 v70 d5 at the weekend which came with one stamp in a replacement book from 120k service in 2018. It's the model I've been after (7 seater), and when I test drove it, it ran like a top.

She's got 133k miles on her now, and a sticker for the cam belt at 92k.

Upon leaving the dealers car park, I realised why the drivers side window had been down when I arrived. Auto up didn't work. Manual up did, and I've since figured out how to re calibrate.

About 30 mi in to my drive down the M1 to S London from Northampton, I got a low oil light warning. My mind started racing towards an oil bomb under the bonnet. Sigh.. Thankfully no. Topped it up with over priced oil from a services, and away I went, with a bit more trepidation.

10 mi from home, I opened her up on an on ramp to an A road. Not being used to the short first and second gear, the tach needle bounced off the red line (****). Immediately after, I received the "Soot Filter Full" warning, and was gently introduced to limp mode in my first day with the car.

Needless to say, I was cursing my impulsive purchase when I walked in to see the missus with my tail between my legs.

After a bit of research, including pricing out a new dpf (WTF?), I crossed my fingers that the dpf needed a regen drive. Off we went as a family (6 month old daughter) in our new, questionable car. To my surprise, and delight she was no longer in limp mode - my spirits lifted.

After a quick jaunt on the M25, I was elated again. This car is an absolute pleasure to drive. Truthfully, I am in love. Upon closer inspection, under the bonnet is very clean, and looks well maintained for a 15 year old car.

Ok, sorry for the dramatic intro, but here's why I'm posting.

I think we can agree that I'm an idiot for buying this car without a service history.

What I'd like to do is build some peace of mind with some at home servicing

Enter Eurocarparts sale.

Oil Castrol edge 0w30 A5/B5 and Mann filter
Mann Fuel filter
Mann Air filter
Bosch Cabin filter

I've checked the Aux belt, it looks brand new. As mentioned above, the cam belt was changed at 92k.

What I'd like to know is if there's anything else I should be looking at or doing to add to my peace of mind? Transmission fluid?

I'm a willing (read reckless) home mechanic, having worked on motorcycles for years. Cars are new to me, but I'm happy to have a go before inevitably having her towed to a professional.

Two questions.

Upon inspecting the engine bay, I found what looked like a tiny bit of what I assume is fresh oil here.

https://imgur.com/tQT2qGI

Anything to worry about? Could it just have been spilled? Might it be something other than oil?

Next one:

What in the name of Christmas is this hose for?

https://imgur.com/wQqL5h0

The build quality on this Volvo is second to none. Something tells me a bolt in the end of a hose is not factory spec.

It ends up here after going through a T connector.

https://imgur.com/lfDSx9G

Sorry for the long read. Appreciate any and all guidance.

Dave

Edit - Apologies for the massive images.
Millie20 is offline   Reply With Quote