Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 AWD Repair

Views : 24242

Replies : 72

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 13:31   #17
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeldriver View Post
HAve to admit the 4th gen stuff looks a bit hardier than the 1st and 2nd. When did the 4th start being fitted Roy??
Just to make it clear the pictures above are from a sweedspeed "R" cars thread.

The first failed spline and two new spline sleeves shown are from/for "R" cars. The new spline on the right is the original fitment and is the one that has been failing every 3 to 7 thousand miles. That is a serious problem. It has NEVER been fitted to an XC90.

The new fourth generation spine shown last is from a V8 XC90 and is recommended for use on the "R" vehicles pre 2006 as a replacement by the guys on the swedespeed forum. Post 2006 "R" cars have the spline already. I assume swedespeed recomend ordering the V8 XC90 part to make sure they don't get old stock "R" splines.

They ran a poll of "R" cars affected by the slpine failure an ALL the failures were on PRE 2006 cars. No one posted a post 2006 "R" failure.

The "R" car AWD is obviously relevant to the XC90 as they use the same parts although the "R" cars are more highly stressed but as James says they should be up for the task. I also think the "R" cars transmission works in a harsher enviroment due to being very low to ground as well.

These are my own thoughts on the information I've seen on the net. If anyone wants to disagree thats fine, personally I just would like to see some objectivty in the posts, rather than general none specific compaints. There were also a lot of posts on the swedespeed forum saying the same thing, so I'm not the only one who sees no point in the Volvo's are rubish type post. What's great about the sweedspeed "R" forum is that the guys clubbed to gether to pay for the metal analysis and measurement of all the parts, and even contemplated makeing their own improved part before they found Volvo was ahead of them and that the new V8 VXC90 part met their own criteria. That's what I call a technical forum.

Roy