Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing Belt Interval

Views : 537

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2023, 16:29   #1
James77
Master Member

Default Timing Belt Interval

HI,
Hoping someone can tell me the interval for a March 2016 V40 T2 (petrol) timing belt change, car is coming up to 35k miles and over 7 years old now?
Thank you
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 17:31   #2
steV50

90,000 miles or 10 years whichever comes first.
steV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steV50 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2024, 07:42   #3

I have a 39k miles T3 geartronic Jan 16 registered car and was wondering if the belt should be changed earlier than the 90K miles indicated.

My plan would always to change the belt before the service year it was recommended, but the question is how much earlier?

Car is normally only used for longer journeys, ie not a runaround and driven carefully.

I should add that I am a retired engineer and have some experience of timing belt drive systems but not in the automotive sector.

Thanks.
405070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2024, 17:15   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 405070 View Post
I have a 39k miles T3 geartronic Jan 16 registered car and was wondering if the belt should be changed earlier than the 90K miles indicated.

My plan would always to change the belt before the service year it was recommended, but the question is how much earlier?

Car is normally only used for longer journeys, ie not a runaround and driven carefully.

I should add that I am a retired engineer and have some experience of timing belt drive systems but not in the automotive sector.

Thanks.
I don't think there's an easy answer to that... how long is a piece of string sort of scenario.

The belt should last 10 years or 90k (whichever comes first), but it doesn't mean it will.

If you hit 90k before the car is 10 years old, change the belt. If you don't hit the miles, change the belt anyway because it'll be 10 years old.

I guess you want to play it safe, you can always change it early. I don't think anyone can say how early though... Just being honest. If your plan is to change the belt before the year its due, then that would be next year. Belt should be replaced in 2026 by age... a year early would be 2025.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 17th, 2024 at 17:18.
Kev0607 is online now   Reply With Quote