Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 T4

Views : 708

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:46   #1
Mark Dalton

I'm thinking of buying a 2001 (51 Reg) V40 T4 and as a new comer to Volvo was after some advice.

1. The car is advertised as a V40 T4 S.
However, when I checked the service log with Volvo, they show the car as a V40 T5 SE. I didn't think the V40 had a T5 variant. Does it?

2. How do I know the trim level? It's shown as a T4 S, rather than an SE (though I believe you can get S SLUX and SE)
What's the difference and how can I be certain which one it is?
I want to make sure I pick the right one for the insurance.

I haven't seen the car yet so will be checking it, and the documantation, in a few days time but some advance advice would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mark
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 13:29   #2
peteS40

Hi Mark I'm looking for an S40 T4 at the moment and I've been a bit confused by all the different models out there too!

I think the service dept must have messed up, there is no V40 T5. The latest S40/V50s are fitted with the T5 engine but not the V40 or old S40s.

As for the trim, I don't think they did the T4 with an S model (but someone else might inform me I'm wrong about this). Just T4 or T4 SE. But then the later ones, probably about 2001 time, started getting 'Lux' badges and 'sport lux'.

But as far as you are concerned, you just need to check it has the options you want. It seems to me the only difference between T4 and T4 SE is the full leather seats. But then again, chances are some first owners would have paid for a plethora of options on the basic models so just check if it has what you want! I saw a 2003 'T4 Lux' once and it had radio controls on the steering wheel, wheras older 'T4' and 'T4 SE' did not... but was this a paid for option or part of the 'Lux' badge: who knows?

I think what will give the "ultimate answer" is what it says on the V5C logbook. Certainly, whatever anyone else thinks the car is, this is what DVLA think it is and this is what insurers will think it is!

Anyway, with most insurers you just tell them the reg number and they will find out for themselves what car it is. So don't worry about telling the insurers.

As an aside, you may find this website from RAC useful. Stick the car's reg number in and not only will it tell you what the model etc. is but it will tell you when it was registered, how many previous owners it had. Very useful!

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/carbuying/vehicle_data_search/

Good luck,
Pete
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 17:07   #3
Mark Dalton

Pete,

That's great - many thanks for your help.
I'll give the RAC site a look.
best wishes,

Mark
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 01:06   #4
peteS40

No worries... as you would have noticed, after the above post I thought I'd put the RAC / DVLA links in a separate thread. Anyway hopefully DVLA, you and the dealer all agree on what the car is supposed to be!

One more thing: I remembered that as well as full leather, the T4 SE model has electric windows in the back wheras they are manual on the bog standard T4.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:02   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dalton
I'm thinking of buying a 2001 (51 Reg) V40 T4 and as a new comer to Volvo was after some advice.

1. The car is advertised as a V40 T4 S.
However, when I checked the service log with Volvo, they show the car as a V40 T5 SE. I didn't think the V40 had a T5 variant. Does it?

2. How do I know the trim level? It's shown as a T4 S, rather than an SE (though I believe you can get S SLUX and SE)
What's the difference and how can I be certain which one it is?
I want to make sure I pick the right one for the insurance.

I haven't seen the car yet so will be checking it, and the documantation, in a few days time but some advance advice would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mark
Hi.
Don't take the service log or any receipts etc from dealers as gospel. Only the other day after my service, which is one of many there, my invoice came back stating that my car was not a Coupe, but a convertible and to add 'insult' to injury, they also had it down as a 2.0T not a T5!

The only way to check is to look at the engine code.

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 15:10   #6
supatim

Just buy it! I have had a V40 T4 SE for the past 2 years and had no regrets. You feel so safe, the performance and handling and second to nun...for an estate! Only down side are the tyres specially on the front, they tend to wear fast and if the management light does come on for any reason could be expensive !!!!!! Apart from these points it is a fab car, I managed to get hold of one with full winter pack full leather heated seats zeon lights ect. I would most certainly buy another. Take it for a drive if you haven't already you will fall in love !!!!! My wife love driving it too!!!!!! Good Luck