Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 AWD & 2WD Tyres & Winter

Views : 11175

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 20:24   #31
polsesnabb

@Rich17:
I am happy to respond to your questions. I will not go in to the matter of spikes, as that is an intence debate upp here, but of no relevance to you guys. I will tell you a couple of things about winter tyres, though we reffer to them as spikeless winter tyres. You see, there are more differences than just the spikes.

As I said, shifting to winters is something "everybody" do, and it has allways been that way. When a few people dont´t change to winters it is allways a monetary issue, nobody does it because it is a good idea.

The difference between summer tyres and winters, is that summer tyres have a harder rubber mix, that makes them perfect in summer temperatures. Winters have a soft rubber mix, and you can easilly feel the difference if you try to pry the different tyres with your fingers. Of course, the pattern of the two tyres are different too, but the softer rubber is the most important. One can easily understand why these tyres have better grip on ice and snow, once feeling them...

Winter tyres are not magic, but they feel that way if you ever get to compare them. They wear more than a summer tyre on tarmac due to the softer rubber, and almost not at all when driving on snow and ice (less friction). Keep in mind that we spend 5-6 months per year on winters, but in total only one of these on actual snow and ice (large, regional differences). As for the rest of the winter, roads are bare and often wet. Still, the extra wear of winter tyres is not something generally concidered an issue. Once you have them, they will generally last at least for 3, or up to 5 seasons anyway. After this thime, their rubber has gotten so hard that it is recommended to change them regardless of wear (will you keep the XC60 that long?).

Winter tyres are at their best in the snow. When driving on a bare road, they will give somewhat less stability, longer braking distance and less cornering performance than a summer tyre, but these are peanuts compared to the incredible difference on snow and ice. That said, ice is a difficult surface, and you will skid regardless of tyres. But on winters you will be SO much more in control. This video sums it up pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s It shows that winters are at least twice better than summers on ice. I didn´t find any videos showing similar testing on snow, but I assure you that then the difference is 10 times bigger!

Of course, it must be taken in to concideration, that winters perform worse than summers on a bare, wet road. Check this Norwegian video. The car starts off on good summers, and the second on winters. Temperature 6 centigrades, speed 50 mph. http://www.langangen.com/index.php?o...303&Itemid=263 Yes, winters stop later on the wet road, but if you compare the speeds of the cars in the two videos, and remember what your physics teacher said about stopping distance and speed, you realize that winters wil be of greater importance under extreme conditions, than summers will be on bare, wet roads.

Finally, I must mention that winters are bad in summer teperatures (15-20 C and above). Then the soft rubber becomes "jelly", and you find yourself driving under your personal winter conditions again.

Last edited by polsesnabb; Oct 17th, 2011 at 20:30.
polsesnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polsesnabb For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 20:44   #32
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by polsesnabb View Post
Of course, it must be taken in to concideration, that winters perform worse than summers on a bare, wet road. Check this Norwegian video. The car starts off on good summers, and the second on winters. Temperature 6 centigrades, speed 50 mph
very interesting. all the evidence i've seen points to the contrary i.e. at temps under 7oC winters are better than summers on all surfaces except dry. maybe the temp has to be lower than 6 for winters to be better on a wet road.

that said, i know results vary brand to brand, and even within the same brand one season's tyres will buck the trend of most other brands.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 19:59   #33
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbg View Post
Volvo are now getting in on the act and will store your summer tyres ( for a fee )

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/sales-se...ter-Tyres.aspx
Not any more according to my dealer today.
XC60MY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 21:25   #34
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC60Fan View Post
Not any more according to my dealer today.
Maybe your dealer should check their facts Or maybe time to change dealer

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/abou...spx?itemid=122
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 23:19   #35
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post

Thanks Brodick I've forwarded the link and await a response.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 18:49   #36
volvorocks
Rodney

Anybody driven with winter tyres in warmer weather and found the steering isnt as sharp,that the car wanders a bit at speed and the steering feels as though it is coated in "syrup"? Every thing feels a bit "blancmangey" (cant think of a better way to describe it)

Also the feeling that the car is running on underinflated tyres and everything is soft (probably due to the softer compound I suppose)
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 19:11   #37
XC60MY12
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post

Quote:
Thanks Brodick I've forwarded the link and await a response.
Hi all, I've now had a response from Taggarts. They want £1800 for 4 x 18" alloys fitted with winter tyres. Yes £1800!! They maintain that storage is up to individual dealers and that Volvo are not offering it nationwide because there was not much take-up. Wonder why!
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 20:15   #38
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Anybody driven with winter tyres in warmer weather and found the steering isnt as sharp,that the car wanders a bit at speed and the steering feels as though it is coated in "syrup"? Every thing feels a bit "blancmangey" (cant think of a better way to describe it)

Also the feeling that the car is running on underinflated tyres and everything is soft (probably due to the softer compound I suppose)
No I have not driven with them in warmer weather but am not surprised by what you say. I would assume itis similar to running summer tyres in the winter at low , low tempratures.

My winter tyres are still sitting in my garage just waiting for me to make the change.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 20:17   #39
Brodick
Master Member

Quote:
Hi all, I've now had a response from Taggarts. They want £1800 for 4 x 18" alloys fitted with winter tyres. Yes £1800!! They maintain that storage is up to individual dealers and that Volvo are not offering it nationwide because there was not much take-up. Wonder why!
It may be the case that Volvo can't make their dealers store the tyres. especially if they have smaller premises. I haven't asked my dealer. I am going to get them to swop my tyres over but I will bring my summer tyres home and store them myself

Last edited by Brodick; Oct 24th, 2011 at 20:20.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 21:22   #40
Teejay1
Master Member

Quote:
I paid 1300 for 4 Segin wheels with Continental tyres last year 1800 seems a lot.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote