Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

some newbie questions

Views : 820

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 23:54   #1
Eoin

Default some newbie questions

New to the forum, so apologies if I'm asking common questions. I'm looking at getting a V50 (around 2006) early in the new year, or possibly before.

I've still to do any test drives, but I like to get as much info as possible first as there aren't enough hours in the day at the moment!

It's most likely going to be either a 2.0D or 2.4D. A 2.0 petrol would probably be fine, but they're rare on the ground in Ireland from what I can see. A T5 is too much though.

Is the auto in the 2.4 a good option? I don't mind autos, once they're nice to drive (e.g. kickdown etc).

Is the D5 worth the extra running costs and tax over the 2.0D? Seems like it could be a bit of a nice sleeper.

The storage space doesn't seem to compare too well at all compared to rivals, but other than the SAAB 9-3 and Alfa 159 SW, there are no other estates that I like the look of at all. Storage would be for a couple of medium sized dogs on occasion / a child's buggy and related bits & pieces (don't have one yet to try out in test drives) / the occasional bit of flat pack furniture. Not that much really I suppose.

Finally - I'll be giving up a really nice stereo with a slick iPod integration in my current car, which is a shame. Is the stock stereo any use, or should I look for one of the upgraded ones?

thanks in advance
Eoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 12:26   #2
binty

Smile Stereos OK, consumtion OK

Standard Volvo 'performance' stereos are pretty good. Not the loudest, but decent sound definition on the standard set up. High performance brings a doubling of power and better speakers which makes a real difference if you like the bass without loosing clarity. Dynaudio is the top of the range, although personally I am not keen on the centre speaker effect and prefer the two chanel output to the three as I find it has greater clarity.

You will need to make a quick check with the dealer as to the ipod integration, but on my 2008 C30 it was simply a dealer upgrade to fit the ipod lead into the centre console and connect to the back of the stereo. That gave me full ipod integration on the centre display and steering wheel controls for all the menu's.
This cost about £200 but was well worth it.
Just so you are aware, Volvo did three different leads, USB, ipod or ipod and USB, all were the same price so I went for the combined one. This gave the option of leaving the ipod connected permanently, and using the USB for a memory stick or phone charger at the same time.

I now have a 2.0D engine with the 6 speed box, and it has plenty of power and torque, yet returns better consumption than the previous 1.6D, (46 to 48 mpg generally, over 50 if you are careful).

Happy hunting.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 14:29   #3
Eoin

Thanks very much Binty, I'll check that out. My car has a factory fitted BOSE amp and speakers, with a nice after-market iPod integration kit, so I'll think I'll probably miss that the most.

I've heard great things about the 2.0D, but the D5 also seems pretty tempting! My commute is nearly all motorway / national roads, so the bigger engine shouldn't be that much of an overhead. Anything approaching or over 40MPG would be OK for me.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 14:47   #4
binty

Wink D5 is good

Thanks Eoin,

My friend has a D5 C70 with auto.
Its a lovely thing, smooth and fast, she gets high 30's in mixed driving, but can top 50 mpg on a long run. We run some D5's at work as well, but consumption can drop into the mid 20's if they are thrashed and you use the performance all the time, it all depends on your right foot.

Good luck.
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 15:11   #5
Eoin

That sounds perfect - my commute is mostly cruise control on, and relax - but nice to have the option to drop the foot if you feel like it. Best of both worlds by the sounds of it.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 17:18   #6
aidanthomson

I bought my 09 D5 about 2 months ago. Was a bit worried about fuel consumption but get an average around 47mpg. I was getting around 43 in my 407SW. I do a mix of motorway and town on the daily commute of 35 miles each way. Road tax isn't a huge amount more over the 2.0D. I never test drove a 2.0D as they weren't many about at my budget. Drove a 1.6D which was fine but after trying a D5 there was no going back.
aidanthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aidanthomson For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 19:06   #7
Eoin

Thanks for that, sounds like a winner - will try and test drive one as soon as possible. Motor tax would be a few hundred extra in Ireland for the 2.4 over the 2.0, but I can live with that.

Anyone know what the boot space is like for buggies?
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 21:43   #8
golly
voc member

Default room for two labradors

I`ve got a 2011 V50 D4 R Design and two labradors and they fit in the back just fine, also got the volvo dog gaurd which is great can recommend.The D4 is a 2.0 which is about 45 mpg and getting better.
golly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to golly For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 18:10   #9
Eoin

Finally got around to test driving one today, as I've agreed a sale on my current car.

Here's what I posted on another forum:

Quote:
It's a pretty comfortable car, but a far cry from my current nice leather sport seats. It drives quite well - but definitely more of a cruiser. It's very comfy over speed bumps, but seems quite prone to understeer. That said, the tyres on it were Wanli and some other brand, which probably didn't help. Not a huge amount of mid-range grunt, but very competent at motorway speeds. Not a hugely plush interior, but the leather seats are nice, and the floating dash is a nice touch.
I was hoping to try out a 2.4 D5, but they're very rare on the ground over here, and I need to move quickly as I don't want to have to rent something in the meantime.

I can't remember if the stereo said "performance stereo" or "high performance stereo" when I switched it on, but while it seemed quite clear; I was quite disappointed with the base. As I said earlier though, I have a BOSE amp in my current car which spoiled me a little.

This is it here:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2631184