Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

steel frame car ramps any good?

Views : 2161

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 22:13   #21
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question good yes

i use them a bit and prefer them to some of the cheap axle stands on the market at present, not much use for working on brakes but great for most other jobs.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ighlight=ramps
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 22:52   #22
danielv40

Thank you all very much for the info and advice. Much appreciated.

I have another question, could be totally stupid, forgive me if it is but...

I was talking to a guy at work today and he's offered me a set of two tone ramps for £5. Sounds appealing but they are only 180mm wide. My car wheels are 195's could I still use ramps that aren't as wide as the wheel, or would this damage the tyres and/or be unstable?

If not I am going to order the extra wide ones off eBay tomorrow for £40, but obviously if the £5 ones will do me happy days.
danielv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 23:04   #23
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

The problem with using ramps that are narrower than the tyres is that you leave no margin for error.
Other things to think about is the age of them and are they cheapies ones that could be rusted or have weakened joins, do you want to risk it for the sake of spending £40 for new ones?
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Dolomite For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 11:36   #24
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielv40 View Post
Thank you all very much for the info and advice. Much appreciated.

I have another question, could be totally stupid, forgive me if it is but...

I was talking to a guy at work today and he's offered me a set of two tone ramps for £5. Sounds appealing but they are only 180mm wide. My car wheels are 195's could I still use ramps that aren't as wide as the wheel, or would this damage the tyres and/or be unstable?

If not I am going to order the extra wide ones off eBay tomorrow for £40, but obviously if the £5 ones will do me happy days.
I definitley would not buy your colleagues set, if you're getting ramps go the e-bay route.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 13:22   #25
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Deffo go for a set wider than your wheels, even with aligning, checking, realigning .. it's hard to get the ramp exactly straight so a bit of extra width is a must.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 13:43   #26
david philips
panic captain manwaring ?

Question width of car ramps

tbh i had to go and check the width of mine if asked i would have said mine where about 180mm wide but after measuring them they are 345mm wide.

ask your friend to measure them it would be a same to miss out on car ramps at £5 and some of the older ones where made very strong .
david philips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to david philips For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 14:00   #27
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Dolomite View Post
The problem with using ramps that are narrower than the tyres is that you leave no margin for error.
Other things to think about is the age of them and are they cheapies ones that could be rusted or have weakened joins, do you want to risk it for the sake of spending £40 for new ones?

Well said, if you are gonna use ramps check the weight, plus the quality, I saw a ramp collapse with an old Jag on top, these were just cheap ones but should have took the weight but they sure didnt and buckled and collapsed on one side!
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 16:46   #28
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Deffo go for a set wider than your wheels, even with aligning, checking, realigning .. it's hard to get the ramp exactly straight so a bit of extra width is a must.
My ramps are about 200mm wide, we used to lift the landy that was on 235/85 All Terrains.

As above it does leave you less room to play, but as long as they are not stupidly thin and you get them well centered you'll be ok.
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2012, 21:08   #29
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Another thought re narrow ramps and axle stands.
If you picture the ramp end on, or the stand, consider the width of the base and height, as a triangle, then think of pushing it over, wide and low is more stable than thin and tall. Bottom line is if you are working under the car you want to be safe and then a bit safer, I recall being told that firemen test their ropes to be 6 times stronger than they need which seems a good margin of safety to me.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 21:11   #30
craigoodwood
HE WHORE

i made my own out of scaffold planks, twice as high as the shop brought metal ones