Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Airport 'Security' Parking - Warning !!

Views : 726

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:11   #1
kev240
Master Member

Unhappy Airport 'Security' Parking - Warning !!

Just a wee warning about Airport 'Security' Parking, I returned from my holiday to find that my car had been damaged in a secure airport car park, and now the firm are not very forthcoming with accepting responsibility for the damage.
On arrival at the parking area, I transfered my cases to the waiting mini-bus that was to take us to the airport, handed the keys over, and watched as it was driven into the 'secure' parking area. On my return the car was waiting at the reception area for me to uplift, but someone had attempted to enter the car, and I found five/six small dents, broken paintwork, and numerous scratches around the passenger door lock/handle, and a couple of small dents and similar damage on the leading edge of the bonnet above the lock area. Estimates for the damage are £375 - £400, firm are not happy to pay out stating they "check cars on their arrival and on return, and premises are covered by cctv", unfortunately they cannot find any paperwork regarding arrival check, and nothing on cctv.
Please make sure when you leave your car at these places, a member of staff checks your car when you arrive, noting any defects, take a note of their name, it might help if you have the same trouble as me.
Also check the small print when you book, most of their insurance's only 'cover' theft or attempted theft, and do not cover vandalism or accidental damage while your car is in their 'secure' parking area.
At least they attempted to steal a quality car, 940 turbo estate, and leave all the other inferior cars, BMW's,Merc's, Audi's, untouched !!!
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:48   #2
sarge
Master Member

Sorry to read about the damage, Kev240. I've never risked leaving the Volvo in one of these places. The way some of them drive the cars is enough to put me off - particularly given that the compounds are often rough surfaces to start with. The 'service' offered - taking car away to be parked and having it ready on your return - is convenient but I would never enjoy the holiday bit in between for worrying!

Sarge
'99 V70 AWD
sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 21:49   #3
Jonathan_angelo
Jono

I'd have to agree with the above - would worry so much i'd end up having a **** holiday. I won't even leave my car in the drive (although crime in my area is low!).
When i went to Australia for a month i parked my then 2003 Civic Diesel in a friends garage locked up for the month - much safer and preferred!!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 22:55   #4
S60-MBS
VOC Member

i work right next to Bham airport,anyone wishing to leave their car in a secure location let me know...and its free...
S60-MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 17:48   #5
blues60
My car is blue

I would never leave the keys to my car at one of those valet park long stay airport car parks.
A couple of summers ago some spotty herbert who had a summer job at one and was taking cars from the car park he worked at to cruises and home for the weekends!!! People were coming home to find their cars had done 200 or so miles while they were on holiday and their cars were dirty, smelt of cigarettes and were full of rubbish.