Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 SE Sports Ed- shot nivomat

Views : 2405

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2012, 14:28   #11
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

It may also help to get the Sachs/Boge part number as that may help expand the option for sourcing them.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2012, 14:46   #12
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Default Found this on this forum from Chesh740R

Found this from thread about wrong nivo fitted

"I Make this post in regard to Solid Axle suspension as found on 940's and not the IRS found on late 960's.

Unfortantley in my extensive libary of Volvo Technical manuals I do not have the book for the Solid Axle Rear Suspension.

However I do know the following due to having in my pocession a service bulleting from Volvo about incorrect ride height.

It states that Customers Complaning of a low ride height that have Non Self Leveling Suspension, that the wrong springs could have been fitted from the factory.

It states that the cars have been fitted with Springs Marked C then the wrong spring has been installed at the factory and the fix is to replace them with Springs marked H.

I also know the following.

Rear Springs available for 940

1359710 Marked 8
6819404 Marked C
6819405 Marked H
9140534 Marked J

So one would then assume that 6819405 Marked H are for standard height 940's without self leveling.

Incidentally I.d ing springs could be difficult as volvo says they are marked by white paint marks (Spring H is 3 white lines) (Spring C is 1 White line as i remember), so on cars being now 10 years old being able to find said marks will be very difficult.

This then Brings us onto Shock absorbers

There are 4 Different Types of Nivomat Shocks available

9140553 Marked N
9140552 Marked F
9140536 Marked P
9140562 Marked R

I do not know how these are marked,

Subsquently there are 3 different types of Standard Shocks Available

1330702 Marked G
1329500 Marked C
1329507 Marked 7

As for Lowering Kits available, my catalogs indicate the following

3529 086-5 Lowering Kit for 740/940 with out self levelling. I can give part numbers for individual parts of this kit.
However none of these part numbers match any of the Shock/Spring Components listed above.

For Self Levelling there are the following options.

Front Kit for Automatics 9134286-5
Front Kit for Manuals 9134285-7
Rear Kit for Saloons 9134084-4
Rear Kit for Estates 9134085-1

Ideally I would like to know which Shock or Spring Letter/Part Number is for what combo of vehicle. If you can find this out with the Customer Care dept that would be a big help.

I have a 940 Sport with Factory Lowered Suspension and Rear Self Levelling suspension.

However one of my rear Nivo's is blown so the car sits on its arse on one side, I also havent been able to assertain wether there is a shorter Nivo for the job. If I get chance tommorrow i'll have a looksi underneath to see if i can find some part numbers on the Nivo's.

I have aqquired some Pattern Nivo's to chuck on there when i get a chance, but i did wonder if it would make the car put its arse up in the air.

I would immagine it would, due to fact that the Lowered Spring will set the intial height with just the weight of the car, but a Longer/stronger Nivo will then jack the back end back upto standard ride height thinking that the car is slighltly laden due to the shorter spring.

My other option which i was going to do before these pattern Nivo's came along, was just chuck some standard sports shocks and lowering springs i have lying around on and toss the factory lowering springs into the parts stash."
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FossilFish For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 09:27   #13
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilFish View Post
What is SLS? is it the road handling kit!
Self Levelling Suspension.

It is designed to compensate for the wait you put in the back of the car.

I can't remember if it was from one of my Aachener threads of something that another forum user who posts as "Roger the Cloister" who bought my last sport posted up. He did a lot of looking into the Nivo suspension. In terms of what is and what is not still available for these cars. If you can find his old post it would give you all the information. I seem to remember it was quite conclusive.

BTW. I seem to remember at least one of the sports I've owned had a pair of UNI part nivos on and they didn't look wrong. The car sat perfectly level. Isn't that what "chesh" used on his car in the end???
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 10:08   #14
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Curtis View Post
Self Levelling Suspension.
Ha ha, well I was nearly right, that scene in Good Morning Vietnam springs to mind !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 13:00   #15
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Thanks for that will do a bit of digging, hope its easier than finding a fossil!
FossilFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
940 estate, nivomat, se turbo, springs, suspension