Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sick of Audi and BMW divs !

Views : 2880

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2012, 21:16   #41
RXS
manic monkey

You carnt leave out merc TAXI drivers out there just as bad if not WORSE

1999 V40 1.8i GDI manual

Rob
RXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 22:09   #42
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXS View Post
You carnt leave out merc TAXI drivers out there just as bad if not WORSE
TAXI drivers...erm...say no more...lol...or rather not an "lol"...as they think they are a law (they think) unto themselves
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 22:20   #43
owyn
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
erm...ironically I must retract!!

I did a 350 mile round journey in the XC yesterday to Wales and must say, what a pleasant experience. No real bad driving from others, and a simple luxury drive in the XC, a journey it was designed for.

An XC60 is a "soft roader" a bit of a fashion thing really although it does have substance.It is car like to drive and handling is pretty darn good as is traction in wet and damp conditions.It has all the "fancies" such as hill descent and traction control although lets be honest, its not a hard core offroader. We all know that.If you want to hardcore off roader get an old Landie and suffer. No, what the XC60 is good at is being a car.A stylish car. A car that drives and handles like a car, and when the going gets a bit tough such as snow and ice, it easily dispenses with these conditions with its all wheel drive alternating from wheel to wheel, its hill descent control ( great on slippy hills) and its fancy traction control.Its also good in the Tesco car parks to bump that kerb when some fool blocks you in...!!!

Its not a full 4wd machine its a compromise.Thats why I and others have one.

Its basically an AWD car that drives like a car, which is what most of do most of the time, coupled with AWD for when road conditions are a bit damp or when we are towing a caravan over a grassy field or launching a boat, where the fancy electronics kick in and help.Pretty economical considering ( I got 39mpg on the trip) and pretty powerful especially with the Polestar.

On my trip an Audi TT came up behind me and when I looked in the morror it was sooooo close I could feel it.Looking at it I thought...mmm..a 3.2. I am kippered!!

I toddled along at just under 70mph in the 3rd lane overtaking slower moving traffic, whilst the Audi driver got closer and closer giving a flash (whilst I slowed down a tad I hasten to add). When the inside second lane became clear I indicated my intention to pull in ( I had now dropped 2 cogs to 4th)...then floored it.

I pulled a good 8 car lengths or so on the Audi in seconds and was suprised. I eased off and let it tootle past me.As the Audi passed I got ( I think it was the victory sign????...not sure...lol) 2 fingers stuck up..!!!

On the back of the Aud was TDi. Am I correct to assume it was 170hp?
It sure looked like a fast kitted out car in my mirror although wasnt, so yes I agree that BMW/Audi drivers think they are the dogs twiddlers when they are not...lol

Regards

EDIT:

Had similar experiences with T4's...lol
If I see a TT TDI I overtake it out of principal! Why on earth would you buy a little sports car and put a flipping diesel engine in it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from anti diesel, they are great engines but in a little sports car a revvy petrol engine is the only thing to have.

Buying a diesel TT is like buying an expensive Golf diesel with the practicality removed all in the pursuit of vanity!
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 22:23   #44
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Beemers and Audis are good.

At least you KNOW who is going to drive like a **** before they take you by surprise.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 22:25   #45
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
erm...ironically I must retract!!

I did a 350 mile round journey in the XC yesterday to Wales and must say, what a pleasant experience. No real bad driving from others, and a simple luxury drive in the XC, a journey it was designed for.

An XC60 is a "soft roader" a bit of a fashion thing really although it does have substance.It is car like to drive and handling is pretty darn good as is traction in wet and damp conditions.It has all the "fancies" such as hill descent and traction control although lets be honest, its not a hard core offroader. We all know that.If you want to hardcore off roader get an old Landie and suffer. No, what the XC60 is good at is being a car.A stylish car. A car that drives and handles like a car, and when the going gets a bit tough such as snow and ice, it easily dispenses with these conditions with its all wheel drive alternating from wheel to wheel, its hill descent control ( great on slippy hills) and its fancy traction control.Its also good in the Tesco car parks to bump that kerb when some fool blocks you in...!!!

Its not a full 4wd machine its a compromise.Thats why I and others have one.

Its basically an AWD car that drives like a car, which is what most of do most of the time, coupled with AWD for when road conditions are a bit damp or when we are towing a caravan over a grassy field or launching a boat, where the fancy electronics kick in and help.Pretty economical considering ( I got 39mpg on the trip) and pretty powerful especially with the Polestar.

On my trip an Audi TT came up behind me and when I looked in the morror it was sooooo close I could feel it.Looking at it I thought...mmm..a 3.2. I am kippered!!

I toddled along at just under 70mph in the 3rd lane overtaking slower moving traffic, whilst the Audi driver got closer and closer giving a flash (whilst I slowed down a tad I hasten to add). When the inside second lane became clear I indicated my intention to pull in ( I had now dropped 2 cogs to 4th)...then floored it.

I pulled a good 8 car lengths or so on the Audi in seconds and was suprised. I eased off and let it tootle past me.As the Audi passed I got ( I think it was the victory sign????...not sure...lol) 2 fingers stuck up..!!!

On the back of the Aud was TDi. Am I correct to assume it was 170hp?
It sure looked like a fast kitted out car in my mirror although wasnt, so yes I agree that BMW/Audi drivers think they are the dogs twiddlers when they are not...lol

Regards

EDIT:

Had similar experiences with T4's...lol
Even the 3.2 isn't that quick.

TDI is 175bhp iirc but quattro which will actually slow him down a fair bit at motorway speeds.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 23:31   #46
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
Even the 3.2 isn't that quick.

TDI is 175bhp iirc but quattro which will actually slow him down a fair bit at motorway speeds.
I am sort of "quattro" though being AWD?...even though XC is mainly front wheel drive?....it certainly shifts though given its near 2 tonne weight

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote