Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Two days left of Volvo ownership. Thank you everyone!

Views : 2659

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 01:09   #21
jackd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
give the XC90 or S80 V8 a try next :-)
I quite fancy a BMW M5 or an Audi A8 W12 next. You see the problem is I can only ever go up in the number of cylinders now. It's a disease. I can't help it.

jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 01:19   #22
jackd

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Yup the 2.9 was the heavy manual. The R was the earlier 6 cyl.I had it only for a short time as finances dictated otherwise!!!!!!..Took me 5 years to get back on my feet again and have never had a Jag since! TBH I should never have even got the 2.9 as I couldnt really afford that at the time either!

Have looked recently at 03+ XJR's but worry about the bills long term on what is probably a well used 8/9 year old car!

Great car though.Cant be beaten for pure "Englishness"

Regards
I would say the purists agree with you there on the six cylinder front. The quintessential Jaguar engine. The whole company was built around that engine, and the straight six is a superior design inherently anyway due to it's natural resonance and timing. I bet she was a beautiful car to own. Not like that V6 nonsense they had five years later.

As regards the 03- XJR I wouldn't want to steal you away from Volvo, but they are cracking fine cars. I have driven the XKR, essentially the same car in a sharp Ian Callum suit. Nothing roars like a supercharged Jaguar V8.

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 01:24   #23
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I would say the purists agree with you there on the six cylinder front. The quintessential Jaguar engine. The whole company was built around that engine, and the straight six is a superior design inherently anyway due to it's natural resonance and timing. I bet she was a beautiful car to own. Not like that V6 nonsense they had five years later.

As regards the 03- XJR I wouldn't want to steal you away from Volvo, but they are cracking fine cars. I have driven the XKR, essentially the same car in a sharp Ian Callum suit. Nothing roars like a supercharged Jaguar V8.
The 4.2 had 2 tanks and they rusted through meaning it held not a lot of fuel!

Not great for range, and never knowing how much fuel was available as the fuel gauge never worked! One tank had rust holes lower than the other so I was always left guessing or doing the maths!

Have recently been browsing the Jag website, in particular the XF, although do not think 35k average is justified for it (even if I had an extra 35k to spend on a car that is which I do not!!!!)

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 01:29   #24
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
I bet she was a beautiful car to own.
The bank had no emotional attachment and got rid of it nearly as quick as I got it!!!!!

Ownership - what ownership!!!!

Times have moved on since then.I am older and wiser

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 09:29   #25
Lmason
L Mason

youll find the jag v8 engine has its problems too. something to do with a valve going, common issue.

i was reading about it and its an expensive fix.

in my opinion, the volvo engine is more bullet proof, but as all engines, if serviced regular theyll last.

sadly with jaguars, they depreciate in price alot, so if your only keeping it for 6 months, youll loose alot on it and may take a long time to sell

but hey, if you have the spare cash why not go for it. im sure i would be if i had plenty spare cash
Lmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 13:49   #26
jackd

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmason View Post
youll find the jag v8 engine has its problems too. something to do with a valve going, common issue.

i was reading about it and its an expensive fix.

in my opinion, the volvo engine is more bullet proof, but as all engines, if serviced regular theyll last.

sadly with jaguars, they depreciate in price alot, so if your only keeping it for 6 months, youll loose alot on it and may take a long time to sell

but hey, if you have the spare cash why not go for it. im sure i would be if i had plenty spare cash
Oh they have more serious problems than that, but I have done my research. I know these engines inside out. Mine is the latest revised design of the engine and bypasses almost all of the problems bar the most minor niggles. That's why a post 2001 XJ is worth three times as much as a pre 2000 XJ. There are always people looking for a good example of an XJ, of which mine is just about the finest available in the country. I would be surprised if I don't make a profit on it to be honest. It was for sale in the dealership less than two days!

Tags
jaguar xj8, new car, volvo c70