Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tickover chatter

Views : 3600

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 17:28   #51
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2002 View Post
Hi all just a quick question

My cars idle has always been chattery once warmed up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2EhL...5aAUAAAAAAAAAA

Vid above. Might be a stupid question but by using non volvo spark plugs, could this cause a chattery tickover?

Thanks
Hi Thomas

That sounds similar to my s40 classic,although as you know it also has the VVT issue of a cyclic clicking every 10 seconds or so. The engine is quiet sometimes until warm and then gets louder.Started it today for the first time in weeks and fired into life straight away. When disconnecting the VVT solenoid the cyclic clicking goes away although it still sounds like your video (not as loud perhaps) and quite tappetty.

Then again it hasnt been serviced for 3 years!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 17:51   #52
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Hi Thomas

That sounds similar to my s40 classic,although as you know it also has the VVT issue of a cyclic clicking every 10 seconds or so. The engine is quiet sometimes until warm and then gets louder.Started it today for the first time in weeks and fired into life straight away. When disconnecting the VVT solenoid the cyclic clicking goes away although it still sounds like your video (not as loud perhaps) and quite tappetty.

Then again it hasnt been serviced for 3 years!

Regards
I disconnected my VVT solenoid and have two vids of it off and on (Recent)

On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVAMF...daAUAAAAAAAFAA

BTW the noise early at the start is the camera being moved about and a bit of wind that day.

Off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPzF...a6AUAAAAAAAEAA

The noise at the end is my CP purge valve.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 17:57   #53
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
I disconnected my VVT solenoid and have two vids of it off and on (Recent)

On http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVAMF...daAUAAAAAAAFAA

BTW the noise early at the start is the camera being moved about and a bit of wind that day.

Off - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfPzF...a6AUAAAAAAAEAA

The noise at the end is my CP purge valve.
Both vids sounded similar.There did not appear to be any cyclic clicking?
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 18:03   #54
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Both vids sounded similar.There did not appear to be any cyclic clicking?
Nope none at all when it's on tickover. I will say that when revving there is a little tick in the rev band around 2.5k?

Volvo themselfs think there is absolutely nothing to worry about and it's the injectors making up the noise but I guess until I start to hear an obvious indication of the VVT going I can't really put my finger on anything. Hell the noise I heard earlier could of been on of the belts making a noise since it did disappear soon after.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 18:05   #55
960kg
Premier Member

Personaly i wouln`t use any Molyslip products they were used a lot in the `60`s to help the pre-wear of the engines, as the technology then with various metals was not what it is today.. It does cover the metalic parts with Molybdenum Disulphide and once in the engine you can never get rid of it. It will reduce the wear rate of the engine at a considerable pace and is really for higher mileage cars. If used in a Volvo engine less than 100,000 it will probably never ever be run in properly especially with a Volvo because of the top quality metals that Volvo use. My V70 just feels run in at 158,000 and does goe well and burns no oil at all. You do have to be careful with these products as if you don`t understand them they can in effect ruin your engine by not giving it chance to bed or run in properly and you will burn oil, all these manufacturers want is your money first then talk about it after.
I would use it in a noisy gearbox but not an engine for reasons said.

But then all to your own!, Just my experience of these things.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 18:09   #56
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Nope none at all when it's on tickover. I will say that when revving there is a little tick in the rev band around 2.5k?

Volvo themselfs think there is absolutely nothing to worry about and it's the injectors making up the noise but I guess until I start to hear an obvious indication of the VVT going I can't really put my finger on anything. Hell the noise I heard earlier could of been on of the belts making a noise since it did disappear soon after.
Thomas, if Volvo think it is ok then accept what they say!

If not get on with it and change the oil and make some progress instead of worrying about it, all the time you leave as is you could be damaging the engine more, so get on with it. You have been at least a month talking about it and getting now where!

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 19:27   #57
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Thomas, if Volvo think it is ok then accept what they say!

If not get on with it and change the oil and make some progress instead of worrying about it, all the time you leave as is you could be damaging the engine more, so get on with it. You have been at least a month talking about it and getting now where!
Hi Keith.

I have full confidence in Volvo and a Ford mechanic said the same thing. As for changing the oil well my aim is to change it every 12 months but I could change it 6 months after doing the last change in Feb this year.

I regret not using the Castrol magantec and using the GTX That £10 offer was so tempting though

Old Mar 17th, 2012, 16:09   #58
Haizum74
Master Member

As said, if the mechanics say its fine then do not worry about it. The problem is is that once you get it into your head something could be wrong, you listen out for it each time and convince yourself its getting worse. Ive done it myself
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 17:46   #59
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
As said, if the mechanics say its fine then do not worry about it. The problem is is that once you get it into your head something could be wrong, you listen out for it each time and convince yourself its getting worse. Ive done it myself
lol so true. I'm not really worried now. Unless there is obvious signs of the VVT going then I'm content for now.