Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 aftermarket dvd/nav

Views : 2545

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 14:21   #11
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Very gracious of you to be so patient
He'd probably come round if he was working locally but he has a contract up north somewhere at the moment.
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 19:05   #12
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I don't know what age XC90 you are looking at but if you want to use it as a sat nav I should warn you that the original Volvo system is not very well thought of on the forum, and is expensive for the updates. I havn't heard so many complaints about it recently though. If you want to use it as a screen for something else should be OK though.

Volvo do a Garmin add on I belive but personally I don't think you can beat a TomTom with HD traffic.
I like the Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav in my XC90 Exec V8 MY2007 having updated with the latest set of DVDs (there are 2 discs now for the DVD version) - especially with the full postcode search and the fixed speed cameras being shown.

Even my last car (albeit briefly) a 2006 BMW X3 didn't show fixed speed cameras on its OEM Sat Nav even with the latest SW and Maps installed from BMW. I know that you can get after market discs for BMW where the fixed speed cameras are included as PoIs and same for the postcodes but it's a fiddly process to use and also the discs are not approved by BMW so if you screw up your Sat Nav it could be a costly experience.

Okay the Volvo Sat Nav isn't touch screen - but in the process of buying my XC90 I also looked at RR Sports, which have touch screen Sat Navs - but quite a few were not a good as they should be - often needing quite a firm touch to respond or having to touch the screen a couple of times to get any reaction...again an expensive fix to replace the screen of an OEM Sat Nav in a RR...not to mention the dirty fingerprint smudged screens - so I even like using the steering wheel control selector for the Volvo Sat Nav.

I believe it's up there with most OEM Sat Navs for speed of calculating etc...

My only complaint as it is for all OEM Sat Navs is that they don't show the speed limits of the road you are on like TomToms and Garmins etc do. I know that BMW, Mercedes and a few others are now offering speed limit info - but quite an expensive option to include and only on the new vehicles.

I even like the way the screen slides down into the dash - good for security and well positioned when on...

As for the routing...never really had a problem that any other Sat Nav wouldn't also have had.
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 20:59   #13
XCF
Master Member

Elliott supplied a touchscreen sat nav that looks 100% OEM that also shows DVD input /rear camera etc.

It works very well on touch. No need to press hard to have it respond (RR Sport sounds like resistive screen rather than capacitive) .

Maps have updateable speed cam db and also show speed limit for road with definable warnings for exceeding.

Can also change Maps to Tom Tom / Igo8 etc but no experience of that.
XCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:04   #14
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCF View Post
Elliott supplied a touchscreen sat nav that looks 100% OEM that also shows DVD input /rear camera etc.

It works very well on touch. No need to press hard to have it respond (RR Sport sounds like resistive screen rather than capacitive) .

Maps have updateable speed cam db and also show speed limit for road with definable warnings for exceeding.

Can also change Maps to Tom Tom / Igo8 etc but no experience of that.
How easy is it to update the Software and Maps with Elliott's solution...with my Garmin Sat Nav I have to connect it to a computer in order to do this...for my Volvo OEM RTI Sat Nav, I use the supplied DVD reader under the passenger seat so nice and easy.

I used to have a TomTom with a removeable SD Card that made updating easy by transferring the SD Card to a computer for updating Software and Maps, shame that newer aftermarket Sat Navs have all but ceased with this feature as they now have built in HDDs or the better SSDs...however this means the whole unit has to be paired with a computer for updating...I know some have Bluetooth so may avoid the need for cables I guess?
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 17:49   #15
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

I think it's HD traffic that's the must have feature. Certainly in the busy South East.

I think the Sony TomTom is a built in version with HD traffic. Not sure though. I am sure it's a expensive option.