Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seat Belt Extender

Views : 3437

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 21:56   #1
Beavis
Premier Member

Default Seat Belt Extender

wonder if anyone can help?

i use 2 Recaro front facing child seats for my eldest 2 kids - 3 and 5, in the centre and right 2nd row seats. My youngest, 4 months seats in a rear facing Brittax isofix job.

The fitment on the second row is snug. i'm using the 2 recaros, and not the Volvo child seat as i would hate to have a side impact and the child in the middle on the volvo inbuilt seat gets crushed between the 2 outer seats. my thoughts being, in that situation all 3 seats would probably be crushed by the same amount, rather than the force being sent straight through the middle occupant.

the problem i have is getting my hand down between the seats to fit and undo the seatbelts. I've looked at Seatbelt extenders - Volvo do one for £48 + VAT, which raises the seatbelt buckle, which is a bit steep as i'd need 2 of them. I'm avoiding Ebay for safety reasons. I'm a tad nervous about these http://www.onlinetaxistore.com/car-s...livery-1-p.asp as i'm concerned the V point of the seatbelt is then too high up, near the seat and there could be a danger of my son slipping out of the belt in an emergency.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or solutions on how they have overcome this? I just need the buckle to be 6 inches higher.

I carry an emergency hammer/cutter so i can cut the belts in an emergency, so i'm not too concerned about getting my hand to release it in an emergency.

thanks in advance.
Stu
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2012, 15:54   #2
Beavis
Premier Member

*Bump**

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've read on a US site, that the buckle has to be 6 inches from the mid waist - which i would have assumed is to ensure that the corner created remains strong and theres less chance of the body slipping out over or under the belt. SO due to this, i want the lowest/shortest extender like this http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/10105831/...t-extender-7-8 and which is suppossed to be Federal rated to 3000lb...

Why didn't Volvo stick the seat belt receivers on the outer edge of the seat like some BMW's have? Would have been so much easier.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:29   #3
PsYcHe

At least one belt clip would have to be in the middle, so two isn't much more hassle.

Kiddy car seats are a nightmare, not actually handy for seatbelt clipping, and not always great for fitting more than 2... I've had the XC90, 3 Audi A8's and a Kia Sedona while I've been fitting seats, and contrary to the obvious, the A8's have been the easiest to fit!
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote