Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MoTs scrapped for classics

Views : 2237

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2012, 15:34   #31
GMad
Premier Member

I don't think it's a good idea, not everyone who owns a classic car has a wealth of mechanical knowledge and those that do are still quite capable of missing a dodgy brake line or sticking brake etc etc.
My classic car is only 25 years old, but I am still thankfull of the parts of the test that I dont have the equipment to perform. Brake balance being a good example.
Also all older cars (including my 25 year old) are prone to tin worm and without a ramp and an experienced eye, some classic owners could easily miss some serious rot.
To be honest, I'm happy to get to MOT time for both my Volvo and my Pontiac! I know the S60 is very unlikely to be rotting away beneath me, but last MOT I had missed a slight bind of one of the rear brakes.
An advisory and caliper overhaul kit later, off I went with the knowledge that all of my brakes were working effeciently and as a bonus, my fuel economy improved
Old May 23rd, 2012, 13:27   #32
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

as above ^^^

If it happens, I will pay someone to do a safety check on my pre-'60 car. It's not that I don't maintain my cars fastidiously, but for peace of mind, I would just want somone to cast their eyes over anything that I had missed

For one thing, it's the only opportunity in 12 months that the whole thing gets lifted completely off the ground so that even I, let alone the tester, can get right in under to check

Imagine if I crashed as the result of something I had missed in regular maintenance that could have been picked up on by a proper tester...

I am well up for tighter legislations on the use of old vehicles, but relaxing on what is essentially safety, I'm not
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2012, 01:15   #33
pookie
Premier Member

Personally, I can't see insurance companies issuing policies on un-tested cars. I think that they will require engineers reports instead. Then people will realise how cheap MOT tests are.
I did hear ( but this could be wrong ) that the real reason this is going to happen is that the main MOT computer could not handle the old chassis numbers ( not 17 digits ) .

Salut!

Pookie
Old May 24th, 2012, 18:17   #34
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Personally, I can't see insurance companies issuing policies on un-tested cars. I think that they will require engineers reports instead. Then people will realise how cheap MOT tests are.
I did hear ( but this could be wrong ) that the real reason this is going to happen is that the main MOT computer could not handle the old chassis numbers ( not 17 digits ) .

Salut!

Pookie
That can't be the reason as the shorter chassis numbers only changed to 13 or more in digits 1981.
Chassis/ VIN numbers are not legally required pre Aug 1981 or on home built kit cars. and I have had several cars with missing or no VIN plates, the tester can select 'VIN not required' on the computer under the relivant section.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 19:17   #35
Chrali

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
Personally, I can't see insurance companies issuing policies on un-tested cars. .
MOT exemption isn't new.

I had a 1954 Humber 'Pig' APC about 10 years ago, 7.5 tons, 4+litre Rolls Royce engine, full Northern Ireland mods, ex bomb disposal.

Mot exempt
Road tax free
Insurance £80 on historic insurance
4-8mpg
Max speed 36mph

Loved it, but it was a scary SOB to stop with drum brakes, when some muppet doesnt notice your amoured vehicle and pulls out in front of you!!

Last edited by Chrali; May 24th, 2012 at 19:20.
Chrali is offline   Reply With Quote