Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Medusa 18 Inch Alloy Wheels Help?

Views : 4101

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2012, 17:09   #1
MikeFL

Default Medusa 18 Inch Alloy Wheels Help?

Hi,
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place or not worded correctly. Despite reading numerous Forums over the past few years I’ve never actually posted on them. But desperate times.....
Today my 2008 Volvo v50 2.0 Diesel SE Lux has been for its MOT – it failed
The rear alloy wheel is like an egg!! MOT tester reckons I’ve curbed it, until I pointed out the fact that I don’t hit curbs and that there isn’t a mark on the outside of the rim!! So next best guess is a pot hole on our good old roads.
Only problem is I can’t locate a replacement 18inc x 7.5 Medusa Alloy without re-mortgaging my house!!
To make matters worse i have just read that the Medusa Alloy Wheel is prone to buckling!
So now i think should i just downsize to a set of 17inch rims and sell the 3 Medusa Alloys and Tyres on Flea Bay to try and cover the cost?
Im open to any suggestions and advice as ive only got 5 days MOT left.....
Many Thanks
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 18:12   #2
cheffy

A lot of people round here'll tell you that you should down size and get a better ride etc etc but I actually like my Medusas even though I know the pitfalls with them. Quite a few people on here have swapped theirs so might have some for sale. Hopefully someone comes along soon and is able to help out.

Good luck!
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheffy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 18:13   #3
MikeFL

Default It gets worse

Just seen the price of the replacement rubber - oh dear
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 18:25   #4
cheffy

If by "rubber" you mean the tyres, then you can save a couple of quid by putting a different size on? I'm assuming you've got the 215/45 18s on at the moment? I read on here that you could swap them for a different size so I did. I ended up (through recommendations) getting 225/40 18s and saved a bucket load of £££ as they're a more common tyre but still fit and do the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheffy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 18:56   #5
MikeFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
If by "rubber" you mean the tyres, then you can save a couple of quid by putting a different size on? I'm assuming you've got the 215/45 18s on at the moment? I read on here that you could swap them for a different size so I did. I ended up (through recommendations) getting 225/40 18s and saved a bucket load of £££ as they're a more common tyre but still fit and do the job.
Ok - as it stands i only need one new tyre, im guessing that i would need to change both tyres on the same axle? Is that the case? How do you get on with the ride quality, is there much difference between the 40 & 45 profile?
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 11:52   #6
cheffy

At the moment I've only got the 45s in the back, I'm waiting until I need to change the front to switch those. My Mrs sometimes sits in the back with the little boy and she says she doesn't feel as sick now (she used to get car sick more on the 215s) so as far as the ride goes its a little better although I haven't really noticed myself.

Oh and ya as far as I know you'd have to change the both sides. I was 'lucky' in that I needed 2 tyres at the same time. Check out the for sale section of the site and see if anyone's wanting to swap it sell you a set of medusas.

Ian
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 21:49   #7
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

It is possible to get alloys repaired - but they won't be as strong.

My advice - go down to 17" the car will drive way better - I've had both on mine. (17 and 18) I wouldn't have 18's back on.

rubber is cheaper too although get on a profile checker, as there's often cheaper profiles with the same rolling radius than the volvo standard.

eg... 215/45 instead of 205/50 - etc...

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t5_monkey For This Useful Post:

Tags
alloy, medusa, v50