Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiring Diagrams

Views : 1608

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2006, 20:17   #11
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

S[/QUOTE] I mentioned the car will start but not when held round at 4. When the key is released it will start (sometimes) on what appears to be a weak residual spark.

As Alec mentioned it may be that I have to splice a couple of wires together.

Thanks to all

S[/QUOTE]

Have you got the original ignition lock from the GLT?

Also, although I said 'bridge' it might be a bit more complicated than that, as if you just splice wires together, you may find that you have hoocked up a 'permanent' feed to 'position 4' of the switch.
If that's the case, you might find that you need to put either a relay in or a thryistor to give current feed only in the desired direction.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:02   #12
Peter D
Peter D

Yes if that is the case then there was a Torslander 3 gang ignition sw the first gang of which provided and ignition feed in two positions running and starting if the wiring form the GLT connector is what I think it is it will pick up the secong gang and therefore the power goes off whilst cranking as does the radio and headlights. So a meter and a bit of probing and you should be able to find the feed that goes live whist cranking but is not the feed to to the pre-engage starter dissconnect the pre-engage feed to the starter and buss it back to the Ingition SW connector. NO not connect this to the igntion feed af the starter will stay engaged with the igniton on. Be carefull Wire a car bultb into the starter feed and one on the igngion feed and check it out before reconnecting. Which engine do you have in the Torslander and why did you change the harness. Regards Pete
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 22:55   #13
ALLOA
Master Member

Gents - Thanks for all of the feedback and suggestions. I'm pretty much convinced the problem is in the ignition switch having dwelled over it for the last few days. I'll probably get the services of an auto-spark to check the switch out.

Peter - To answer your question I had the standard two litre engine in the Torslanda. It had covered 170,000 miles and ran sweet as a nut. There was really no justification to change it. I acquired my Dad's GLT which had a trashed body but low mileage engine. Initially I had planned to just change the engines over and swap the injection systems over. I placed the question about the compatibilities of the two on the board but could never really persuade myself either way. What swayed my decision was niggles with my Dad's 940 Wentworth . This runs great now but it was enough to put me off the ignition system! The GLT system is simpler but problems such as the ignition switch have cropped up. Other minor niggles exist such as the level switch for the brake fluid. On the Torslanda this comes off the reservoir. On the GLT it comed off the union block just behind the strut.

The idea of swapping the looms over appealed as I had the luxury of the two cars sitting adjacent to each other. If I had decided to use the original loom, scrap the donor car and then found that I needed the GLT electrics I would have had a problem!

Best Regards

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 21:44   #14
ALLOA
Master Member

Default Conclusion !!!

Peter, Your hunch was correct. The ignition switches on the Torslanda and GLT are externally identical but internally different! A handful of wires and a relay installed by the local 'spark' has sorted the problem and I am more than impressed with the results. The 2.3 engine transforms the car completely. For all the difference in cc's the 2.0 litre engine now appears to be a real slouch!

I've still got a list of 'snags' to complete but everything works other than the wipers! There is also a 'mystery' green wire at the rear of the instrument cluster which I have no idea what the purpose is. Obviously the GLT loom had accesories on it not required for the Torslanda such as electric mirrors, windows etc... I'm guessing that I will trace it for having something to do with this.

I will be scrapping the remains of the donor car in a couple of weeks. There isn't much left other than a few silver panels. I plan to keep the suspension and rebuild / rebush it for the Torslanda.

The 2.0 litre engine is also up for grabs if anybody needs a good unit. Its done 150,000 miles but still ran well.

Thanks to all who assisted with the project.

Best Regards

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote