Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Fuel Pressure Problem

Views : 14814

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 17:31   #11
shimon340

interesing one, could it be the fuel sender is faulty so you dont actually have the amount the tank is showing? has the fuel pickup come adrift so you are sucking air when below 1/4 tank?
shimon340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 01:28   #12
dunkpidge

Unhappy V40 2.0t

Hi, I'm also a newbie to all this, and only chopped in my old Audi Avant and bought a V40 3 months ago so I'm still new to Volvos too.

All was running fine until two weeks ago, but then I had exactly the same experience.

When I was recovered from the hard shoulder of the motorway, I was told that it was dodgey fuel, but having had the tank removed, drained, cleaned, and new filters put on, was suprised when it happened again.

It seems to be when the tank gets down to 1/2 - 1/4 full, and then just loses all power until it dies (sometimes juddery where the power returns intermittently).

I've been told that I need a new fuel pump (as a general guess), but before I fork out more money that I don't have, I wondered if there were any other cheaper things to check first?

Hope you can help,

Duncan.

dunkpidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 17:22   #13
jp16vrs

Default i have the same problems

my V40 also had an iritic idle, has anyone every cleaned the EGR valve before or is it best left to the garage?
just from reading trends i think it might be this but anyone else have problems with the 1.9D 2001- engines?
thanks john
jp16vrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 17:52   #14
fedefly

Hi, I have a 1996 Volvo 1.9TD with problems.
Sorry my english is not so good but I will try to explain...
The first problem is, every time I let the car and I don't start it for 5 hours or more, it takes too much time for starting, like when the complete fuel lines goes empty. I must use the hand pump unscrewing the valve from the pump to take tha air out.
The second problem is, when in idle, sometimes it goes up and down on revs. I go in the highway at 120 km/h and without moving my feet, suddenly goes faster....

When I start from idle, and step con gas, the engine cut off like it goes without fuel.

When the aircon is on, has no power in low revs...maybe this is common with 90hp.

Things we've made:
Repaired the fuel injection pump
New hand pump and filter
Changed the injectors
new solenoid (the upper one)

I can say.....no leaks, tested the fuel line from the filter to the deposit with pressure tool and in a complete day the gauge stays in the same place.

Connected with two transparen hoses (inlet outlet) to a bottle of diesel in the roof of the car, and the fuel stays in the same level, it doesn't goes down.

We checked the compression, 4 times, in cold and in hot. Perfect!

I'm starting to believe they repaired the pump wrong, and they don't change some parts, also I think in some way it is sucking air from somwhere.

In the pump there is a valve connected with the intake, I believe this valve is broken and let diesel goes to the intake causing the engine goes up in revs.

I can say I use to have a S40 from same year same engine, they both had the same problems at the same mileage. around 250.000km, Gearbox broken the 5th gear , fuel pump broken, must repair it.

I had a problem before, one of the solenoids, the upper one, with two cambus wires, was ****ed up, sometimes the car dies like when you cut the fuel line.

I changed this and this never happened again until it starts with all this other problems.

i love this car, I love the handle, all the suspention and brakes are japanese, but I'm a little tired to put my hand on it.

If someon could givbe me a hand what to look will be great.

I love this forum, it is very usefull.
Thanks for all the info.
Regards
Fed
fedefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 18:00   #15
fedefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrett10 View Post
Hi i wonder if any one can help me,i,am new to this forum game so please excuse any mistakes.I own a 52 plate v40 1.9 diesel i believe it,s the renault engine,when my fuel gauge reads between 1/4 & 1/2 a tank and when my trip computer says i,ve got 190 miles to go before fill up the engine cuts out just like if the cam belt has snapped ,i key it off and then try to re start the car which it will after 2 or 3 attempts, then it will go a bit longer and die again,until i fill the fuel tank then it,s ok, i have changed the fuel filter,blown the fuel line out from the tank to the filter and renewed the fuel pipe from the filter to pump,has any one have any ideas ?

Hi, replace the solenoids, there are two of them. upper one and front one.
The upper is under a metallic cover, it is from the immobilizer, you must take out the injection fuel lines (metal) you have a lot of work to do to take this solenoid out.
The problem is you must take the car to a dealer because if you replace this solenoid, the car will never start again, goes with the key code.....I ve made the mystake....
The other one has no complication, it is in the front of the pump (front of the car) has a wire with a connector, this usually leaks and starts to work wrong.

The price of each is between 30 and 70 € from internet and between 130 170 € in the dealer.....
I hope this helps

Mine has the wires broken and makes bad contact. After change one of them, the otherone goes broken.
fedefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 16:20   #16
djdaveyp85

Got the same problem with mine. Seemingly its the swill chamber / fuel sender which is accessible through a panel under you back seat. If you split it there is a long filter inside which is probably filthy.

My thread is here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...89#post1216989
djdaveyp85 is offline   Reply With Quote