Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Creaks, rattles and squeaks

Views : 2008

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2012, 12:11   #1
kprida

Default Creaks, rattles and squeaks

Does anyone else find their S60/V60 to have annoying rattles, creaks and squeaks?

I've managed to sort some (glossy black plastic on the door needed a bit of lube where it wraps round the door frame, and door seals). But I'm still left with a tapping noise from the roof lining, a plastic creak noise from the drivers door (think its the door card as I've lubed the door catch and seals) and occasional rattle under the dash. They're driving me mad.

Anyone else had these issues? Even better still, had these issues and knows the fix?! I've found in the past dealers tend not to hear these things unless directed to the source.
kprida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2012, 22:11   #2
Crockers
Premier Member

After my Merc I'm surprised how little the V60 rattles. What car / mileage is yours?
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 07:51   #3
kprida

Mines a 2011 S60 R-Design with ~9000 miles on it.

Am going to try to get to the dealers this week to see what they can do. I've located the headlining rattle. Pretty much directly above my head and from what I can see on VIDA (from ebay) there is a wire that runs accross there. So I guess its not secured properly.

That will just leave the rattle in the passenger area and occasional plastic creak from the drivers door (which I think is the door card as its the only one that creaks if pushed on ).

Sometimes long for the olden days with big panel gaps so there were no rattles. And if there was you couldn't hear them over the engine/road noise anyway!
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 18:04   #4
kprida

Right. I think I've found the headlining problem. I stripped the trim back enough so I could lower the corner of the headlining. I found one of the sound damping sheets that sticks to the roof hanging down a bit. I pushed it back up and put some duct tape round the edge as well. Fingers crossed that'll sort that one. Ironic that the thing that's supposed to suppress noise was making it.

One down, couple more to go.
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 15:36   #5
hexadex

I've got a 2012 S60 D5, the off side rear door rattles on most road surfaces, it's been in twice had lube on but still the same. Drivers door rattles but not to the same extent. Just about given up.
hexadex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 20:14   #6
craigv60
Master Member

I've got a persistent buzz from the floating centre console in my V60, a swift thump with my knee usually sorts it for a bit ...
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 20:18   #7
kprida

I managed to cure most my door rattles. I unscrewed and pulled off the door card. All round the edge are clips that move around in slots,this was causing some of the noise. A dose of lithium grease on each clip solved that one.

Other creaks were from how the door card is assembled. Trim pieces that attach to the card have plastic prongs, these creaked. Again lithium grease on these.

Lastly there is an electronic module in the door. Moving this around made a creak. I tried lubing it but that didn't work, instead (bit of a bodge) a folded piece of kitchen roll stuff behind it shut it up.

I found each creak by push on the card in various places, noting the place it creaked at ,then pulling the card off and seeing what was about that position. It took a couple of goes but it now seems quiet enough. I have a slight noise from the passenger door but not bad enough I want to pull it apart yet. I could of gone to the dealer but I wanted a proper job done!
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 22:01   #8
gezp

Default Buzzing noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
I've got a persistent buzz from the floating centre console in my V60, a swift thump with my knee usually sorts it for a bit ...
Had the same problem on my XC70. Found it was from a little fan that draws air in to sense the saloon temperature for the climate control system. You can prove it by placing a cloth over the tiny grill on the face of your console. Had to renew mine, not cheap.
gezp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gezp For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2012, 22:23   #9
155mph
1st time Volvo Owner

Leaving the kids at home should sort you out.
155mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 23:53   #10
cab

Our center console creaks/pops/cracks when we accelerate from a stop or brake to a stop. The vehicle's flex is just enough to cause it to creak.
cab is offline   Reply With Quote