Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie - Help Needed - Test Driving XC60 - Many Thanks

Views : 1048

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 12:28   #1
gpzarquon

Default Newbie - Help Needed - Test Driving XC60 - Many Thanks

Hello Everyone,

Myself and my wife have decided we need a decent all round practical 4x4, so following a weekend of looking at 4x4's.. we've fallen in love with the XC60
( other 4x4's we looked at were the : Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q5, RAV4, VW equivalents and KIA ).

We are due to test drive an 'XC60 163hp Premium' tonight at our local Volvo Showroom, registered on 25th January, 2012 and if my wife likes it, we will trade in her car, if not we plan to order a brand new one.

After looking around the brand new XC60's, I have a few questions that i'd be really grateful if someone could answer.

The spec of the 2nd hand car is as follows :-

XC60 D3 SE PRemium ( 163hp ) - DAB, Heated Front Seats, High Performance Multi-media, Remote Control, Sat Nav, Bluetooth. ( 5,000 miles ).

My questions are as follows :-

1. All the brand new Diesel XC60's ( 4WD - 163 hp ) seem to suggest they come with a D4 Engine.. what's the difference with the D3 and could this be a typo on the advert ( after all.. the car was registered on the 25th January, 2012, it's important to my wife that it is 4WD and has enough 'ummmphhh' on the motorwas to overtake etc :-) ?

2. The Current Specifications involve the word 'LUX' but this one is 'PREMIUM' has the spec changed ? is this car an older specification ?

3. Is this XC60 likely to have the 'new' dash.. or will it be the old one ?

4. It states Sat Nav but doesn't say if it has EUROPE maps on it ? would this be standard or will i need to upgrade / how much would it cost ?

5. How much on average is a dealer service ? ( I understand it needs one every 18k ).

6. The trade in value given for my wifes MX5 2.0 litre sport ( in excellent condition ) is just below the lowest value in the Glass guide ( 3800 ) whereas
Landrover were overing 4800. Is this normal for a Volvo Showroom ?

That's it really.. thanks so much for reading and please feel free to offer any advice before we signup and buy the test car / new car ( finance at 0% unfortunately onyly seems to be offered on the brand new models ).

Kind Regards & Many Thanks,

> Guy

Last edited by gpzarquon; Jul 17th, 2012 at 13:43.
gpzarquon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 15:33   #2
gpzarquon

Anyone ?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 23:14   #3
Westyman
VOC Member

Shame ghat no one can help Guy with some of his Q's. Sadly I can't not having followed XC60 developments.
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 23:52   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzarquon View Post
Hello Everyone,

Myself and my wife have decided we need a decent all round practical 4x4, so following a weekend of looking at 4x4's.. we've fallen in love with the XC60
( other 4x4's we looked at were the : Range Rover Evoque, Audi Q5, RAV4, VW equivalents and KIA ).

We are due to test drive an 'XC60 163hp Premium' tonight at our local Volvo Showroom, registered on 25th January, 2012 and if my wife likes it, we will trade in her car, if not we plan to order a brand new one.

After looking around the brand new XC60's, I have a few questions that i'd be really grateful if someone could answer.

The spec of the 2nd hand car is as follows :-

XC60 D3 SE PRemium ( 163hp ) - DAB, Heated Front Seats, High Performance Multi-media, Remote Control, Sat Nav, Bluetooth. ( 5,000 miles ).

My questions are as follows :-

1. All the brand new Diesel XC60's ( 4WD - 163 hp ) seem to suggest they come with a D4 Engine.. what's the difference with the D3 and could this be a typo on the advert ( after all.. the car was registered on the 25th January, 2012, it's important to my wife that it is 4WD and has enough 'ummmphhh' on the motorwas to overtake etc :-) ?

2. The Current Specifications involve the word 'LUX' but this one is 'PREMIUM' has the spec changed ? is this car an older specification ?

3. Is this XC60 likely to have the 'new' dash.. or will it be the old one ?

4. It states Sat Nav but doesn't say if it has EUROPE maps on it ? would this be standard or will i need to upgrade / how much would it cost ?

5. How much on average is a dealer service ? ( I understand it needs one every 18k ).

6. The trade in value given for my wifes MX5 2.0 litre sport ( in excellent condition ) is just below the lowest value in the Glass guide ( 3800 ) whereas
Landrover were overing 4800. Is this normal for a Volvo Showroom ?

That's it really.. thanks so much for reading and please feel free to offer any advice before we signup and buy the test car / new car ( finance at 0% unfortunately onyly seems to be offered on the brand new models ).

Kind Regards & Many Thanks,

> Guy
Hi Guy

1.The D3 is a 2.0l and the D3 AWD is a 2.4.The D3 AWD has a tad more torque. Being registered in January it will be more than likely badged D3. D3 and D4 badging is a move by Volvo to confuse matters!! The D plus the numbers 2,3,4,5 signify power of the engine -2 being a lower powered Volvo and 5 being the higher power one. (XC60’s are 3 and upwards)

2. The one you are looking at ( RJ61 OOV?) seems to be an SE with extras to make it similar to ‘LUX’. the SE has 17 ‘Segin alloys whereas the ‘LUX’ has 18 ‘ Zephyrus. The one you are looking at is an SE with 17’ Segins with a ‘PREMIUM’ upgrade. Premium upgrade includes the Nav and the leather., and DAB radio Standard SE has ‘cloth seats’.The one you are looking at has leather as part of the Premium upgrade.

3. The dash is the later one as per my12 (11 reg onwards)

4. Should have the Europe map.

5.About £250+

6.Barter on your P/X. The market is slow for car sales. Simply ask for more. No harm in asking! XC60's are not selling.24k plus your Mazda? Offer 23k plus your Mazda - then meet in the middle (23.5)

Btw the XC60 is AWD not 4x4 ie mainly 2 wheel drive with the other 2 wheels kicking in to provide traction when slip is detected.It will say AWD on the bootlid.

Helpful?

Regards

Edit: Also appears you have the silver body styling kit and heated seats!!
Edit: Have you considered the Mazda CX5?

Last edited by volvorocks; Jul 18th, 2012 at 02:34.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 15:57   #5
gpzarquon

Smile

Thanks So Much Volvorocks

Atlast someones cleared up all my queries...

I understand the AWD vs 4x4 after looking up the Volvo AWD on Wikapedia

Managed to get more for the Mazda in the end and it's a done deal.. so that's fantastic

The salesman seemed to think it was a 2.0litre.. so nice to know it was a 2.4 ( it has AWD on the back.. so all's good ).

Strange you should mention the Mazda CX5.. I did point it out to my wife..
but the lack of AWD option put her off... and lookswise.. not really a fan.

Now quick question for you / everyone.. it comes with an Ipod Dock.. would that be a full interface ( that controls ipod from dash screen ) or just an audio link ?

also... what do i need to do to make the dash be able to play dvd's.. is it
a whole upgrade or is it something i can tweak ?

Cheers,

> Guy

ps.

Sorry for not looking up your name.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 16:15   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzarquon View Post
Thanks So Much Volvorocks

Atlast someones cleared up all my queries...

I understand the AWD vs 4x4 after looking up the Volvo AWD on Wikapedia

Managed to get more for the Mazda in the end and it's a done deal.. so that's fantastic

The salesman seemed to think it was a 2.0litre.. so nice to know it was a 2.4 ( it has AWD on the back.. so all's good ).

Strange you should mention the Mazda CX5.. I did point it out to my wife..
but the lack of AWD option put her off... and lookswise.. not really a fan.

Now quick question for you / everyone.. it comes with an Ipod Dock.. would that be a full interface ( that controls ipod from dash screen ) or just an audio link ?

also... what do i need to do to make the dash be able to play dvd's.. is it
a whole upgrade or is it something i can tweak ?

Cheers,

> Guy

ps.

Sorry for not looking up your name.
Hi Guy

Good to hear youve done a deal and got more for the MX. Sounds all good.

The Mazda CX5 is AWD - (some versions are AWD, some or 2 wheel drive)

I have Premium Sound (nothing to do with premium upgrade) and it has a usb socket and an aux socket for mp3 players. It also plays DVDS (films). I just slot them in the dash, although do not really use it. You cannot watch a DVD film whilst you are driving (or rather your passengers..!!) only when stopped and parked up.

I think the XC you are looking at has High Performance Multimedia, which plays DVDS, although will not have the extra speakers and the dolby surround malarky!

There are threads in here regarding connecting ipods to XC60's and how its all displayed via the sensus (the screen in the middle of the dashboard).I don't as such bother with all that simply using a usb stick with a few songs on via the usb socket in the centre armrest and let them play through, although you can create playlists and folders etc - although that escapes me..!!!!

Regards

Edit: Engine size 2.0 and 2.4 they kick out the same power although if yours is RJ61 thats a 2.4

Last edited by volvorocks; Jul 18th, 2012 at 16:17.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 16:28   #7
attilabiker

Might I can help u with upgraded sat nav discs if u interested
attilabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 17:46   #8
gpzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilabiker View Post
Might I can help u with upgraded sat nav discs if u interested
Yes Please..

They've arrived ( 4 dvd's ) and the installation procedure says 5 hours with Engine on ?? Anyway to increase the speed of the update ?

Many Thanks,

> Guy