Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1989 - 740 Estate Sunroof

Views : 741

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 31st, 2004, 20:23   #1
D24Tdavew

Default 1989 - 740 Estate Sunroof

I wish to remove the actual sunroof panel from its slider mechanism so that I can repair some corrosion and respray it.

Is it possible to do this without taking the car apart?

I can see two Phillips headed screws that which appear to attach it to its slider at the rear, but the front end is hinged and the screws attaching the hinges to the sunroof panel are facing away from me.

If I remove the rear screws will the sunroof tilt up so that I can get at the front hinge screws ?

Before I embark on this, anybody been this way before...........?

Regards

Dave
D24T davew
D24Tdavew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 23:17   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 1989 - 740 Estate Sunroof

Check through the FAQs on our website and I think the Haynes manual can be very useful in this respect, possibly the Chilton manual as an alternative (number C72300, which is the earlier one). You can obtain Chilton manuals direct from the Haynes website.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:22   #3
George Holmer

This is easy. Tilt open the sunroof, you can then access those hinges that you have noticed keeping the sunroof interior roof panel to the sunroof exterior roof panel when this is tilted open. Bend the interior roof panel down gently and pull the hinges off. Look carefully and you will notice how it sits. You will then need to push the whole interior roof panel backwards so that the inside of the exterior panel is exposed, and you can then access the four screws that keep the exterior roof panel to the sunroof frame.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT estate (B230FK/AW71)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler estate (D24TIC/ZF22)
'79 262C (B27E/BW55)