Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time to move on the V40

Views : 958

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2012, 23:19   #1
Loubaruch

Default Time to move on the V40

My 2003 V40 Sport Lux 1.9 D ( 78,000 miles) has just passed its MOT with no advisories but I did need to fit a rear self levelling shock absorber 2 weeks ago as it was leaking badly. A few months ago the Arcadia wheels were fully refurbished to cure the tyres deflating. So in 5 months the repairs have cost Shocker: £360, Wheel refurbish £280. Plus normal service items i.e. Tyres, brakes, oils, filters etc. which I dont count.

I have decided at 9 years old ( my mileage 49,000) rather reluctantly it is time to trade it in possibly for a Skoda Octavia. It is driving really well and acheives 45-47 mpg, but am concerned that other items will now start to fail.

Many thanks to all those on the Forum who have made servicing so much easier e.g. cleaning the EGR valve quite recently was a straightforward job following the tips and pics on here.

Cheers

Paul (loubaruch)
Loubaruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 23:22   #2
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubaruch View Post
My 2003 V40 Sport Lux 1.9 D ( 78,000 miles) has just passed its MOT with no advisories but I did need to fit a rear self levelling shock absorber 2 weeks ago as it was leaking badly. A few months ago the Arcadia wheels were fully refurbished to cure the tyres deflating. So in 5 months the repairs have cost Shocker: £360, Wheel refurbish £280. Plus normal service items i.e. Tyres, brakes, oils, filters etc. which I dont count.

I have decided at 9 years old ( my mileage 49,000) rather reluctantly it is time to trade it in possibly for a Skoda Octavia. It is driving really well and acheives 45-47 mpg, but am concerned that other items will now start to fail.

Many thanks to all those on the Forum who have made servicing so much easier e.g. cleaning the EGR valve quite recently was a straightforward job following the tips and pics on here.

Cheers

Paul (loubaruch)
Its a shame you are moving on, what items do you think will start to fail? Some 1.9Ds roll on till about 250k miles before you need to change things and parts aren't that expensive. Hopefully whoever buys the car will enjoy it

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2012, 23:48   #3
Cornishv40
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loubaruch View Post

Cheers

Paul (loubaruch)
Sounds like a good and well cared for v40 to buy!

ipse se nihil scire id unum sciat
Cornishv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 08:14   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Talking

Mine Gott! The Skoda Octavia is a poor mans taxi in Germany.

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 30th, 2012 at 10:28.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:00   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Its a shame you are moving on, what items do you think will start to fail? Some 1.9Ds roll on till about 250k miles before you need to change things and parts aren't that expensive. Hopefully whoever buys the car will enjoy it
Yes very sad , cars are mechanical and have to be kept in good order , the V40 is probably the least demanding of the volvo range and there is another 10 mpg to be gained on he right kind of journey , it wont start falling apart now , for goodness sake its only done 49000 miles ! i'd rather spend a few £100 now and again than £1000's and £1000's on a different car where you will have to spend more in maintenance ! whoever buys it will be on to a certain winner .. I have a feeling you just want a change , i hope it doesnt back fire on you ..
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 10:34   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes very sad , cars are mechanical and have to be kept in good order , the V40 is probably the least demanding of the volvo range and there is another 10 mpg to be gained on he right kind of journey , it wont start falling apart now , for goodness sake its only done 49000 miles ! i'd rather spend a few £100 now and again than £1000's and £1000's on a different car where you will have to spend more in maintenance whoever buys it will be on to a certain winner .. I have a feeling you just want a change , i hope it doesnt back fire on you ..
Very true and because this car has just passed the MOT without comments it is not going to be in need of any expensive suspension or brake jobs for some time.
If the diesel engine has 78,000 miles then it has only just finished its initial break in period and unless it has been abused, should be as good as new.
In the event that you do buy an older Skoda Octavia (1998 to 2004) I have a new Haynes manual still in its wrapper that I can sell you for half price, as my half crazy partner bought it before I convinced her that an old Octavia she wanted to buy from a friend would cost too much to repair and that considering the bent bumpers on our Renault she needed a tougher cheaper to insure car.

Last edited by skyship007; Sep 30th, 2012 at 10:45.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 23:07   #7
Loubaruch

Your comments are all probably valid but the other rear shock absorber will no doubt fail in the near future, a headlamp wiper motor has just stopped and I have a feeling a drive shaft is getting a bit worn. Getting rid now still leaves some residual value in the car wheras in 3-4 years time it will be down to a few hundred. Skoda have a good deal on at the moment knocking £5000 off the price of a new Octavia SE Connect. Too good to miss.

Thanks for the offer of the manual but the later cars have a newer 1.6 Diesel so would not be of much help.

Its been a good experience over the 5 years of ownership but as has rightly been pointed out I do feel like a change and would now sooner spend my time fiddling with more interesting cars:

http://www.bertram-hill.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx
Loubaruch is offline   Reply With Quote