Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New XC90 - colour combos?

Views : 1318

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 1st, 2006, 22:49   #1
bircham

Default New XC90 - colour combos?

I am about to order a new XC90 D5SE with privacy glass and 18" Camulus alloys. I really like the beige interior but I am not certain what exterior colour to go for - silver or willow green. I have a dark green Audi A6 avant at present and it is a pig to keep clean while my wife's silver V50 looks great all the time.
I fancy something slightly different but not too dark or outlandish, and I am uncertain about the idea of a light interior with a light exterior.

Any pics or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
bircham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 23:28   #2
JsR

Thumbs up Depends on you really...

Hi - my XC90 has the Silver exterior with Arena interior. I couldn't stand the dark interior - that's why I also insisted on the sunroof. The light dashboard does mean that there's some reflection on the screen but I'm prepared to put up with that small amount of inconvenience for the few sunny days we have in the UK. It really doesn't bother me much at all - the worst times being when driving along tree covered roads with the sun glinting through - very stroboscopic - but still no problem.

The silver always looks clean (but the wheels get filthy so quickly!). IMHO any dark colour shows the dirt and dust much more easily - and metallics are usually easier to clean than the solid colours.

The colour really does all depend on you and your lifestyle - we have no small kids to make the interior dirty. My wife is very colour conscious and she doesn't see any clash with the car being light inside and out. Also - she wouldn't let me have the privacy glass in case someone was hidden in the back - so I had the laminated glass. Again - she wouldn't let me have a green car of any description. I liked the Willow myself but 'she who must be obeyed' must be obeyed!!!

I remember looking at an X5 before I bought my XC90. It was dark and depressing and it even had a black headlining - I couldn't wait to get out of it (and the door handle came off in my hand as I opened the door).

Additionally I've just ordered a new XC70 - again in silver but with the light sand interior - plus, of course, the sunroof.

I wish you well with the '90

John R
JsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 09:21   #3
bircham

Thumbs up re- colour combos

Thanks JohnR for the helpful info.

I think that the light interiors make the car look even more expensive and luxurious that it is and helps to lift the atmosphere of the car. I certainly agree with you about the X5 - what is it about BMW that assumes that everyone wants to have the dark and moody executive look? Having every panel, every piece of trim and even the rooflining in black just makes the car look awful and they get so dirty easily - the same way that a black car shows every piece of road dust. (IMHO)

Anyway, if I am likely to get the car dirty inside I can always get a set of rubber mats for the interior!

The '07 cars now get an off-black dash top as standard whatever the interior colour to help prevent reflections on the screen - I didn't even know this was a problem until I looked into buying one.

As for the willow green do you know f any pics of one? I quite fancy something that looks silver but isn't the same as every other silver XC90 out there, but then I don't really want people to look at the car and think that it should have been silver!

Thanks again,

Jon.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 23:28   #4
JsR

Default Totally agree

Jon - I have the rubber mats - the Volvo ones are colour matched to the car so (I think) look fine. They also scrub up easily - a spot of Fairy Liquid in the bath, and a scrubbing brush and they come up as good as new - for just 5 minutes work.

I can't suggest any pics of the Willow green I'm afraid but I can only suggest that you look at the dealer stock - they probably have something in that colour. I personally like it and would have bought one myself but I couldn't persuade 'er indoors... I don't think anyone would confuse it with the silver but maybe we're too close to the matter?

Interesting point about the dashboard - maybe my new XC70 will come like that - who knows?

Also, when I said that metallics are easier to clean what I really meant was that metallics always seem to look cleaner than solid colours.

Have you thought about the Inscription paint? On the XC70 it's about £275 (list price) more expensive than the standard metallic - it's probably not a great deal more for the XC90?

Best of luck - it would be interesting to know what you end up with.

John R
JsR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 20:47   #5
bircham

Hi John R, thanks for thoughts.
I have decided on an inscription silver coarse flake exterior as it seems to have a depth of coulur that the standard silver doesn't. There is a subtle blue tint to it that makes it look different without the worries of nobody wanting to buy my green car in future.
We have also decided on (probably, but may change before it is finalised by Volvo just before being built) on a calcite leather with quartz interior trim. (code C75T in the new specs brochure). I give the dealer my deposit cheque tomorrow and hopefully having a look at their other cars may make up my mind once and for all. Witht the sapeli wood and privacy glass it should look quite nice.

Jon