Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4/2.5 .. Whats inside these autoboxes?

Views : 1878

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 01:29   #21
TXC

Has the voltage now disappeared from the body?
TXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 02:07   #22
dinky1
Volvo lump in a renault!!

Cor blimey TXC I ain't going out there in the dark mate! LOL

The pic of that engine is from another safrane - that engine is now my spare one sat on a pallet. I just used the picture to show you all where the last plug there is to disconnect - in a really stubborn place!

No, I've not had chance (weather) yet to get out there and tinker with it again. I'm getting a bit desperate though as I'd like to get it running before the clocks change. No worries though mate, I'll keep you all updated as and when I can get into it! I'm not sure about volvos as they have massive bonnets but the safrane isn't a very straight forward car to get apart hence I need a good clear day to do it. I've had the engine out around 7 times (don't ask - had trouble getting it running) so know it pretty well by now and it's definitely a gonna be a big job just to get to that last connector - yet alone having the whole bay apart if i need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
The wiring loom that hooks everything up inside the box
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboZutek View Post
The thing you've circled is the ECU to box wiring loom.

On the 850 you can replace solenoids and wiring loom with the box in place, but it's a bit of a buttock. You have to drop the subframe and it's cramped and horrible: engine out is much more fun. On a Renault? No idea!
Do you mean there is just that one loom that runs over the top of the box or do you mean there is one inside the box too? I noticed in your link that you had access to one solenoid via a removable cover - is there anything I'd need to remove the gearbox from the engine to inspect?

Last edited by dinky1; Oct 3rd, 2012 at 02:10.
dinky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 15:07   #23
K6dude

Smile

Hi,

Sad to say I sold 2 of the XR-25 units with all the cartridges last year after I sold my Safrane.
Dinky1, do watch your back this time, I remember your perils last time sorting out that engine.
Safranes are well built, but as you say a complete pain to access things practically.
My limit to working on mine was to service the PVC and replace the firetrap etc...apart from solving the obligatory ABS fault.

All the best

K6

PS, Glad to have moved to Volvo.
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 15:37   #24
dinky1
Volvo lump in a renault!!

Hi K6

Yes I had a few problems with it previously refusing to start didn't I! Turned out (despite it being tested with a good result) that the ignition coil was a duffer. It was tested several times by different people too..

PCV isn't too bad IMO, yeah its a fiddly job on the safrane but I got it done.. Engine out is the worst though as you pretty much have to dismantle everything - there is nothing you can leave in place other than the shocks!

I'll get it going eventually (somehow) but I must admit with the weather and the continual hassle I do find myself easily demotivated..
Old Oct 3rd, 2012, 21:01   #25
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky1 View Post
Do you mean there is just that one loom that runs over the top of the box or do you mean there is one inside the box too?
Both! There's a loom leading TO the box and also one INSIDE it that hook the solenoids up to the connector on the outside of the box. The loom separates in a connector because it goes through the housing of the box and into the 'wet' area which is swimming in ATF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinky1 View Post
I noticed in your link that you had access to one solenoid via a removable cover - is there anything I'd need to remove the gearbox from the engine to inspect?
By the sounds of it, you won't have much trouble opening and inspecting this on the Safrane: the thing that makes it a hassle on the Volvo is the giant, strong front subframe blocking access to a few of the bolts... If that's not there on the Safrane the job should be pretty easy?

Look around the auto box until you see where the dipstick heads inside - just beside that is the actual cover and has a cluster of torx bolts holding it on. You have to remove that to inspect the solenoids and the internal loom.

Be warned, you need it spotlessly clean for re-assembly and some liquid gasket from Volvo is the approved method to get it back together. I have used a sheet of silicon gasket paper in the past, cut to shape and it also worked fine.

Chris...