Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 hose to heat exchange pops off

Views : 659

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:24   #1
Jessica 740

Default 740 hose to heat exchange pops off

This first happened a year ago....was driving my 740 (GLE auto 1990) fast and the car overheated. Pulled over and realised the hose to the heat exchange had come off, no water left in expansion tank so put lots in and she was fine. The same thing happened again a couple of weeks ago but white smoke came out of the exhaust and the engine made a loud ticking noise. There was some oily water on the floor under the engine. The AA man put lots of water in, she seemed to be running fine but he said there was still a lot of pressure in the engine. My garage said the same about pressure in the engine (the hose from the radiator to the head is not squashy - sorry I can't find a better way of describing that). Since then she has been running really well but I haven't gone over 40 mph. She has been losing water - has needed lots put in the reservoir, but it hasn't been leaking onto the floor under the engine. Today I drove fast and the hose popped off off -we stopped quickly and put lots of water in and she was fine.
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why there is pressure which is causing the hose to pop off, and if the water loss sounds like the early stages of head gasket failure or something else?

I have been Googling this but getting nothing and everything as an answer.
Any suggestions would be extremely welcome. The car is due tax (tomorrow!) and MOT. We've had her for 5 years and she's been excellent but I don't want to do the MOT if it's going to be really expensive to fix this overheating problem.
Thank you very much in advance.
Jessica 740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:30   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

If your lucky it's the head gasket, if not the engine is shot, might be time to take a closer look as to what is going wrong inside the engine - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2012, 22:48   #3
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default water loss

it is possible that there is a headgasketproblem where the water enters the combustionchamber.
the waterchannel is close to an inletcanal and so the water goes into the
combustionchamber.

therefore you will not find a waterleak to anywhere to the outside of the car,
nor does the water leak into the oilsump.

if you rev the engine hard and get the exhaustgas analysed/metered
it will give you a clue.

============
in the end nothing else will do than take the head off and take a look.
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 18:58   #4
brodgar
I've Been Banned

Default E r r a t u m

small adjustment.

take the I N L E T - manifold off, that is most likely where the gasket is leaking.

that is\a small job= about 1 1/2 hours and not to costly.

do that before you take the head off
brodgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 19:30   #5
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I'm surprised the garage couldn't offer a proper reason for the loss of water.
If the car has run OK for a year the I would be surprised if the head gasket was the original fault. Normally once the gasket fails you will have other problems like poor starting from cold or white/grey smoke. This is down to the coolant getting inside the engine.

The original fault where the hose popped off might have been down to something simple like the thermostat staying shut. The engine will then overheat and the excess pressure created will find the easiest way to escape. In your case it might have been a slightly loose hose. The cooling system will be pressurised when everything is OK it's the excess pressure that causes a problem. The fact that the same hose has come off might indicate a problem there.

The trouble is that now it's happened again the headgasket might have failed. If you remove the spark plugs their condition will indicate what is going on. Do them one at a time so you know where the problem is. If they are all the same and look OK you need to find the leak. There are a few likely places. if there are no signs of a leak under the bonnet it might be the heater inside the car that is leaking. Check the carpets.

There's a few ideas, hope you can sort it out.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 23:28   #6
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Red face

I would have a go at replacing the coolant filler cap and thermostat. The cap is the thing that regulates the pressure in the system, and if it fails the pressure will just build up and up.

I think when the thermostat fails the engine can overheat, but I don't know if it increases the system pressure drastically when it does that.

Part numbers:
9445462 - Filler Cap (green, 150kPa) - £14.64
273459 - Thermostat (87c) - £17.04

They are tough engines and you might get lucky with the head gasket too. A hose started leaking on my car and it ran really low on water (~2 litres) for quite a few miles at speed before noticing (stupid compensated water temp gauge!). Replaced hose and topped up and so far so good (touch wood!).
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baggy798 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2012, 00:26   #7
Jessica 740

Smile

Thank you all very much for your advice. I really don't want to lose this car but don't have loads of cash to throw at the garage so it is really appreciated. We've been scouring ebay & autotrader over the last few days, quite depressing, no 740's left. Anyway, thank you for your suggestions and I will report back after the weekend (husband being sent under the bonnet).
Jessica 740 is offline   Reply With Quote