Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

phase one abs probs

Views : 682

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2012, 19:40   #1
pandollar

Default phase one abs probs

have volvo s40 phase one,the abs light stays on.no codes in the ecu so assume light circuit is earthing out somewhere.found a wiring diagram which implied terminal 13 of the ecu was light circuit,cut this wire under air box[before wires under rad]and light stayed on ,so not that wire.wiring on ecu multiplug implies that terminal 21[brown and black] is the wire as this makes a contact in the multiplug when unplugged[abs failsafe] this wire however does not appear under loom going to bulkhead under the airbox,is there a multiplug i cant see somewhere where the wire changes colour? hope someone can help
Old Nov 16th, 2012, 14:19   #2
pandollar

Anyone!
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:03   #3
pandollar

Does on one have any ideas on this, my MOT is due next month and really need to get it fixed.
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 12:13   #4
KBB
Master Tech

If the are no codes then I would be looking at checking all powers and grounds to the ABS ECU. If the ECU has not powered up it cannot give a fault code nor can it send back a self check completed signal to put the dash light out.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 17:30   #5
pandollar

all powers and earths are present as far as my wiring diag shows,which leads me to think a problem with light circuit not ecu
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 17:52   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandollar View Post
all powers and earths are present as far as my wiring diag shows,which leads me to think a problem with light circuit not ecu
are you aware that there are 2 live feeds and earths at the ecu plug? check both .. The most likely cause for this is a corroded feed wire to the ecu in the loom under the radiator . Volvo did a repair kit which meant running new wires from the ABS fuse in the fusebox across the front and joining them at the ecu plug ...