Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"New" V70 arriving this week

Views : 969

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:21   #1
v70stu
V60 T6

Default "New" V70 arriving this week

Hi. I have lurked. and posted a few times in the 850/V70 section but the 850 is off to a new owner, to be replaced by a 54 plate V70 at the weekend. D5 SE Geartronic 167k miles and one owner with full history. This is the highest mileage car I have ever had, by quite some margin but being what it is, I am sure it will serve me well.

I have of course read various posts on here but wondered if there are specific things I need to check straight away? Initial thoughts are cambelt and waterpump as from the documentation there is no record of this being done, although it should have been. I have yet to contact the prev owner to ask (buying from a trader) but my local Volvo dealer say it was last main dealer serviced at 50-odd k miles so no record of the cambelt.

Also have in mind a fluid change for the 'box although it shifts smoothly.

As for the rest of the car, new discs and pads, new tyres and 12 months MOT. I want a minimum 2 years out of this one, ideally.

Thanks,
Stu
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 10:29   #2
RM955I
Premier Member

Wishbones and top & bottom torque mounts spring to mind
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 13:24   #3
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Even though 54 plate which engine, EUII (black bin lid cover) or EUIV (silver grey bin lid)? Just in case you got one of the first facelifts with the older (some say "better") engine.

Difference in engine type can make a difference on things to look out for.

EUIII eats interboilers for fun (yes I know some have original on galactic milegae but mine was on it's way out at 47k let alone later after remapping). Any signs of oil on the undertray below the i/c (which resides in between the front air-con rad and the rear water rad in the 3-layer "rad-pack") indicates trouble ahead.

EIIV has potential issues with swirl flap and dpf.

Probably common to both would be soft hoses feeding intercooler, EGR mixer clogging with muck, top engine mount perished rubber (less so with later square bush variety), lower engine/gearbox torque mount (perished smaller rubber bush), fuel filters that haven't been changed in an age (despite "service history"), cambelt as you have pointed out (inc. aux belt and idle tensioner - waterpump is open to discussion, I left mine alone, don't fix if it ain't broke) and front wishbone bushes.

Any record of brake fluid change? That can make a significant difference to brake feel and performance.

If later D5, has it had software upgrade to prevent oil dilution from dpf regens?

For slushomatic/gaytronic boxes - if I ever had one (god forbid LOL) I'd be looking to change the fluid at that mileage come what may. Anything other than cherry red fluid means its on its way out.

Beyond all that, they're pretty much bombproof and should see you well

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.

Last edited by RobbieH; Nov 12th, 2012 at 13:27.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 16:16   #4
v70stu
V60 T6

Thanks for the pointers so far! Gaytronic??!! I really did seriously think about getting a manual but to me an auto just suits a big Volvo. Personal preference of course.

Mine is a pre facelift so EU III. It is III not II? Not VI anyhow.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 16:28   #5
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

[QUOTE=v70stu;1289141]Thanks for the pointers so far! Gaytronic??!! I really did seriously think about getting a manual but to me an auto just suits a big Volvo. Personal preference of course.QUOTE]

Definitely, so we agree to disagree LOL. Gaytronic = Geartronic, Slushomatic = std autobox. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by v70stu View Post
Mine is a pre facelift so EU III. It is III not II? Not VI anyhow.
Oops, slip of fingers and thumbs whilst typing. EU III
Don't need to worry about dpf's or swirl arms or throttle butterflies.

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.

Last edited by RobbieH; Nov 12th, 2012 at 16:28. Reason: still all fingers 'n thumbs :-(
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 22:01   #6
v70stu
V60 T6

Smile

Old Nov 12th, 2012, 22:13   #7
RM955I
Premier Member

My V70 is my first auto.....I think it totally fits the car's nature
Old Nov 17th, 2012, 16:01   #8
v70stu
V60 T6

Collected the cat yesterday and have to say how lovely it is to drive. 48mpg for the trip home, too. Having now had the car for 24hrs I am building a growing list of little jobs to do!

Had to replace a headlight bulb already, which blew this morning, so bought two "+100%" bulbs. On changing the drivers side, it seems someone has managed to loosen the reflector from the adjustment motor. I've wedged it for now so it doesn't wobble but I fear a bumper removal and headlight out job.

One headlight wiper not working and washers poor.

Rear wiper arm needed as a plastic clip has broken which the blade clips into.

Off to look on Ebay...!

Ah, the HU-803 seemed fine yesterday but this morning had no display. It came back on later but with the characters on the screen flashing on and off randomly and this afternoon was absolutely fine. Wiring perhaps?
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 10:31   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Couple of suggestions if I may. First make sure you can open all of the wheel fasteners with the tool in the boot. Tyre fitters over tighten and the locking studs are fragile and a flat can become an AA callout. Many owners junk the lockers for normal studs. Second have a look at your handbrake shoes - they are overdue if original as they tend to delaminate and lock up hubs. Third , get someone to start the car from cold and keep your eye on the aux belt tensioner - if it jumps around more than a few mm and maybe settles down with or without a cricket noise it could be the alternator freewheel pulley is on the way out.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 18:21   #10
v70stu
V60 T6

Cheers Brendan, I will check those things.

I have now read up about the known display issues on the radio. Hopefully it will stay OK for a while.